Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a service call to repair 2 toilets

house is in severe disrepair...toilets were old and had so many issues I recommended throwing them out...she said to repair what I could

so I have to turn the water off to replace a stop valve

when I turn the water back on her bath faucet plugged up with rust...when I took a wrench to remove the aerator the thing just broke off...the faucet was a POS...

what would you do?

at first I thought I had to give her a new faucet out of my pocket...since I wasn't even told to touch it....then I thought about how any plumber who did the same job would have the same result..it really wasn't my fault

since the job was on the way home I decided to replace the faucet w/o a trip charge...gave her labor at 1/2 price and also gave her the faucet at my cost....total to replace it w/ 2 new stop valves was only $117.50 (I gave her a generic faucet)

customer was happy and knew their stuff was junk...

did I do too much or too little?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I get a service call to repair 2 toilets

house is in severe disrepair...toilets were old and had so many issues I recommended throwing them out...she said to repair what I could

so I have to turn the water off to replace a stop valve

when I turn the water back on her bath faucet plugged up with rust...when I took a wrench to remove the aerator the thing just broke off...the faucet was a POS...

what would you do?

at first I thought I had to give her a new faucet out of my pocket...since I wasn't even told to touch it....then I thought about how any plumber who did the same job would have the same result..it really wasn't my fault

since the job was on the way home I decided to replace the faucet w/o a trip charge...gave her labor at 1/2 price and also gave her the faucet at my cost....total to replace it w/ 2 new stop valves was only $117.50 (I gave her a generic faucet)

customer was happy and knew their stuff was junk...

did I do too much or too little?
Sounds like a good compromise.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Sounds like what we would do. I am not sure what others around here would do, but if you tried charging the HO full price I can imagine them putting up a fight, and claiming your ripping them off, you broke it blah blah blah. Giving them a break made them feel like they were respected and taken care of.

We do not work for many 'random' customers or do service calls so that is also different. You got paid, a little less than normal, but still more than just the toilets and the HO got a new faucet and stops. Win win.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
Today I scratched a guys dishwasher with the anchor screw in the counter top. I showed him, I said man I'll hook you up. Took 100 off the invoice. You can only see it when it's open.

He was cool.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Huggy,
From everything you posted on here before, you run a very successful business and don't need any of us to tell you how to do it or how to charge.

That being said, I don't do service calls like this, but as long as you didn't lose money I think you did the right thing. Either they will appreciate that you gave them a break on something that wasn't your fault (hopefully leading to more work from them or their referrals). Or, they don't appreciate it and you know to never work for them again. Either way, tough situation and I think you did the right thing.

But I'm still pretty sure you didn't need anyone to tell you that.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
this reminds me of clients in the past. give them a nice new shiny addition and they try and blame the ugliness and problems of the original home on you not realizing that the new addition shines so bright it illuminates the original house problems. some jobs we had thought to go through original home with a vid camera and have it for later when they say- what about this? and we show them footage saying what about it??

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't give the customer my business card though...nor did I leave a sticker on their water heater......the house is so bad I don't think I want them as a customer in the future...they paid me, but I don't think they have any $$.....

sad to feel this way about a customer...but I prefer rich customers, not poor ones

im afraid every time I go to their house id end up breaking something else and giving them another good deal

this situation could have been horrible if the customer was an a hole..lucky they were nice/understanding people...they knew their plumbing was horrible

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
You did more than I would. To me it's part of the job. I had to do A in order to complete B, but then had to touch C. When I did, something on C broke. It was not my fault that C broke, just like it's not my fault there is something unforeseen in the wall before a remodel.

With that said, that's why I always get permission to touch old stuff prior to completing the work and that I am not responsible for items breaking do to defects or age.

If it was my fault, then I own it. I replace it. But I'll be damned if I am going to buy someone a new faucet because their POS faucet fell apart when I was doing a repair.

Way to go above and beyond!

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,844 Posts
Karma. :thumbsup:
Sometime, somewhere, somehow, :thumbup:

:thumbup:

You've heard the old adage, "do something bad & 7 people will hear about it, do something good & one person will hear it"

In this day & age of such low quality service being the norm, I'm not sure the old adage is as accurate as it once was. Honest, quality service is no longer the norm & people talk about the abnormal. It'll come back to you doing the right thing.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts