Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Anyone have any experience bringing a blaster over the border? I'm heading to NY to P/U up a used DIB machine, from my side I know I'll have to pay duty at the border - anything else that may be required that anyone can think of?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just make sure it's not filled with fruit, drugs, or guns and you'll be OK. :thumbsup:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Dyer said:
Remember to have the guy write you a bill for little dollars, so it will be lower on the tax If it had a port to look inside have that open so customs can check it out save some time
Why get a lower bill? It's a business expense, a tax write off for equipment, he's only screwing himself with a lower bill.

They will ding you GST/HST which...who cares you claim it back anyways.

Bringing stuff across the border isn't a big deal, just do it yourself, shipping it across is expensive, shippers charge a good fee plus brokerage on top of that makes it really expensive, pick it up yourself and your fine.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Why get a lower bill? It's a business expense, a tax write off for equipment, he's only screwing himself with a lower bill.

They will ding you GST/HST which...who cares you claim it back anyways.

Bringing stuff across the border isn't a big deal, just do it yourself, shipping it across is expensive, shippers charge a good fee plus brokerage on top of that makes it really expensive, pick it up yourself and your fine.
I get a lot of equipment from the US and it's still cheaper to pay a broker then waste half a day driving down.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Inner10 said:
I get a lot of equipment from the US and it's still cheaper to pay a broker then waste half a day driving down.
And that's something you have to weigh out. Couple of light fixtures I just ordered it was peanuts, the ERV I needed was ridiculous so I had it shipped to a PO Box in Buffalo and went picked it up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts