Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if some of you guys could help solve my confusion here... Is it really okay to use non galvinized nails for things like cedar trim in exterior applications my boss has told me that it depends on wether or not you are nailing it into PT or not. But I always thought you used only galvinized or stainless for exterior applications?

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I was wondering if some of you guys could help solve my confusion here... Is it really okay to use non galvinized nails for things like cedar trim in exterior applications my boss has told me that it depends on wether or not you are nailing it into PT or not. But I always thought you used only galvinized or stainless for exterior applications?
They won't corrode but they will rust... rust streaks :mad:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Near the coast, I won't even frame without using at least an electro-plated galvanized nail. Anything in treated is minimum HD galvanized and anything exterior siding or trim is 316 Stainless Steel.

Inland, frame with brights, everything exterior is minimum HDG.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Okay guys thanks for clearing that up I didn't think bright nails had any sort of rust protection
Bright means uncoated...I think they have a light oil or wax coating just so they don't rust too bad before you open the box. :laughing:

Reactions: mudpad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay thanks guys! Guess I'll have to go try and find some stainless fasteners tomorrow hopefully some of the local yards will have them

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Okay thanks guys! Guess I'll have to go try and find some stainless fasteners tomorrow hopefully some of the local yards will have them
They absolutely should, just arch your back and hold your breath when you swipe your credit card. :laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
And as for the streaking and staining will that be the grey color usually found on cedar or rust colored?
Most Stainless will tarnish, more of a grey/black color. Cheaper grades of stainless have more iron in them and will stain more of a rust color.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I hate those purchases were you can feel the tears forming in your eyes
I hear that. Picked up a box of 1.5", a box of 2" and a box of 2.5" -16 gauge stainless gun nails. $300+ and maybe 6 pounds of nails?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts