Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What costs more. In the process of plans for a new construction. Just curious about cost differences. This will pertain to the outside skin of house. I will be getting bids for both. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
but the benefits of brick include better insulation (which equates to lower heating/cooling bills), strength, and less painting. If an option, I think I would take brick.

How long does the prestained hardiplank go before painting, or after painting it?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
awesome, I cant wait for cleve to open up some posts from our dearly departed hardi plank expert:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hardi vs brick

If its on the front of a house i would go with brick, but as for the rest of the house hardi is a great alternative to vinyl. If you buy the pre painted hardi, it has a 20 year warranty on paint, and a lifetime on the material. No guarantees on brick. And we usually charge about $120-$140 a SQ. for hardi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe a good combo of both materials makes for a nice looking structure. I myself own an all Brick home with an Asphalt shingle covered dormer (I recently purchased) which was built in the 1930's and I am in the process changing the Asphalt shingle over to Hardishake, I just recently Rebuilt the Front Steps and Brick walls attached (my stoop is about 42" off the ground). Anyhoo, both Brick and Hardi are excellent GREEN building products and I always encourage my customers to consider Hardi over Vinyl anyday. Brick has always been a favorite and seems to stand the test of time when installed properly ,the old fashioned way (speaking in my english accent, I meant no Brickface).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but just in case... don't just talk to the brick guys about their charge... for the brick option you'll also need to add a brick ledge to the foundation

1 - 10 of 10 Posts