Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks I've asked this one before with nobody ever really knowing anything about this system. This might sound like I'm thinking out of box again, but I never knew how to color with in the lines anyway.
I've come up with a system of inlaying EP Henry pavers in my deck projects. Has anyone out there done anything like that or heard of that being done and successfully.
Mike

Attachments

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
paver's/PT deck

Mike,
Are you saying you are using the paver's in conjunction with a PT deck ? by the pictures it looks as if the deck is elevated where the paver's are- in other words, did you install these in & on the wood deck underneath- with a PT perimeter? If that's the case- I would have to say that is not such a great idea!It is going to be a problem due to weight and movement - but It looks great Mike , but I hope that is on solid ground and not on the Deck itself,,, if so,you may have some problems with that.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
As long as the following are done:
1. Engineered for the extra dead load
2. WATER PROOFED!! OR something to handle water drainage. I assume you would need to sheath the frame with ply to put the bricks on... but if water runs through the brick and onto the plywood then you will be assured of premature failure. Even if your putting it on PT 2x or PT ply the water will be held in by the bricks and promote rot (even in PT) It needs to be handled like a concrete deck would with an epdm membrane to handle the water.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert if you mean is the structure strong enough to carry the weight of the pavers it is, that's easy.just get some seal on it. Now your assuming the pavers are touching the supporting framing.They aren't. And if the surrounding decking is in contact with the paver that could produce a unwanted situation. Once again is hard to depict from the photos but that has been addressed also.This deck in the photo has been up for 6 years and I go back to check it out maybe twice a year and take photos I find No issues with the weight the pavers or the IPE decking. Now the couple I built it for split up but that's another matter and another different site entirely.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DeckStone, AWS Pedestal, and many more do something similar - they just use larger paver's

As I recall someone came up with a mat to use for regular sized paver's / bricks

Looks real nice
Thanks SLS Construction, for showing an interest. I know about DeckStone, but I don't have customers with that kind of money. Most of what I have saw using StoneDecks Is just an accent or landing area.
Those Pedestal are used in chimerical jobs or government financed projects where costs are not reavent.
Now that matting you mentioned is new to me. If you don't mind SLS Construction can I make this your homework assignment.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Looks great Mike. I remember awhile back that JLC had an article on decking with stone. It was probably one of the systems that Sean mentioned. There was a mat of some sort that went down first and I think all the joists were capped with vycor or something similar. Sharp looking possibilities.

This could be your article for Pro Deck Builder magazine. (Unless your guarding your secrets for the patent)

To bad your deck split up that nice couple though. :>)

Good Luck
Dave

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
Thanks SLS Construction, for showing an interest. I know about DeckStone, but I don't have customers with that kind of money. Most of what I have saw using StoneDecks Is just an accent or landing area.
Those Pedestal are used in chimerical jobs or government financed projects where costs are not reavent.
Now that matting you mentioned is new to me. If you don't mind SLS Construction can I make this your homework assignment.
Sorry its not a mat, it's a 16" x 18" plastic grate I saw at the DeckExpo

http://www.silcasystem.com/

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great Mike. I remember awhile back that JLC had an article on decking with stone. It was probably one of the systems that Sean mentioned. There was a mat of some sort that went down first and I think all the joists were capped with vycor or something similar. Sharp looking possibilities.

This could be your article for Pro Deck Builder magazine. (Unless your guarding your secrets for the patent)

To bad your deck split up that nice couple though. :>)
Good Luck
Dave
Dave I never said they where nice did I? LOL

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,531 Posts
That deck looks cool Mike. I'll stick with wood tho. I did a flagstone patio once, that was all I needed to know to stay away from stones & the like.

How does cost of the paver deck compare to the ipe deck, more or less?

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Mike,

The paver deck looks really nice. Not sure what your system was, but if I were to do it....

1. Engineer the joists for the extra load.
  2. 3/4" CDX ply decking
  3. Fiberglass
  4. Sand
  5. Pavers
All wood border in contact with pavers would be stained/sealed and installed prior to glassing the decking. The glass would lip up and cover the contact side. Of course, drain tubes/grooves would be provided.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Weight?

I think that looks awesome - but I would be concerned with the framing and movement- what did you use for Joists? Are there other decking contractors that are doing this,,, never seen that before,,,just curious:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think that looks awesome - but I would be concerned with the framing and movement- what did you use for Joists? Are there other decking contractors that are doing this,,, never seen that before,,,just curious:rolleyes:
I hate to blow my own horn (my self confidence and faith in my abilities have taken a big blow lately), but we did similar projects (3 or 4), nearly 30 years ago.
A favourite over the years is to set a ceramic tile bbq area into a deck.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,531 Posts
Hi Guys! My friend told me you were talking about installing natural stone, brick and pavers on a deck. I am the inventor of the new innovative Silca System. With our Silca Grate you can now install natural stone, brick and pavers on a deck or any elevated surface such as docks, bridges, gazebos and balconies. Our Silca Grate makes if very easy to install the surface of your choice.

Should you have any questions feel free to contact me.
When you get a few more post in try posting a link for us, I'd like to see how it's done.

Alliance, Ohio eh? I lived/worked there for a short while. I wouldn't expect a decking inventer to be there. Probably not an old steel town like it used to be.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Theres a product called Q-deck that has been used under elevated concrete decks that could be used under pavers I suppose. Its basically a structural galv. corragated panel, used more in commercial projects but I have used it under
stamped concrete.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts