Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

brick colored block?

2904 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  concretemasonry
Ran into this today. We assumed it was brick, but it is structural block. I've never seen it before, is it common?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Never seen it myself
Never seen those, although there is something similar called Intelligent Brickwork from Ibstock, for decorative details.
  • Like
Reactions: 1
They are probably "Harvard Brick" produced by Northfield Block. They are not clay,same aggregate as any colored block.

Here is a connection to them.
This house was built in the 60's. H.O. didn't know it was a block house. It's definitely like block with red coloring. A lot tougher than brick to bust up, unfortunately for me.

It also means we can't tear this wall down till the slab is poured and enclosed :mad:
We did a block addition and top up a few months ago, the plan also called for two brick windows on the side of the home to be bricked in, the wall turned out to be this exact product, we discovered this thanks to the foolish demo crew who removed the wrong wall. {wipes brow}.
That does not look like block (concrete masonry units) it looks like structural clay tile, although SCT is usually not colored.
The texture seems like block, but that's about all I know. I'm no masonry expert.
Looking at them more closely they could be concrete bricks with a deep frog, laid frog down.
It looks like the beds joints go through each course, which they wouldn't on blockwork.
That's what I was wondering about as well...I can see the brick joint through the hollow in each "brick". It does look like concrete to me too. Doesn't have the right texture for clay. Also there's the "web" in the middle of the one of those bricks
They look like nice concrete block(CMUs). I have seen similar units in the U.S. and many other countries in various sizes. I saw some 6" thick units (4x16 face) used for loadbearing walls on 12 story buildings.

The aggregate is finer than a typical block that uses a harsh aggregate that does not give a good sheen and texture.

Whoever made the block used a good mold design with flush ends, a center web and wider "mortar bed". They were probaly delivered with the bottom side (as manufactured) and flipped to get the wide mortar bed area on the top. They will work for heavy duty and the high rises. I saw some internationally where they used a larger face (4x16) because of the size of the buildings and walls. Some had 2 webs at 8" on center with open ends for use in partially reinforced walls and 6" L corners..

Aggregate may have been a graded sand with some small limestone chips and a red synthetic iron oxide pigment (not natural). There are many "tricks" that can be done to manufacture variable colored veined units.

Just a guess based on what I could see.
See less See more
That does not look like block (concrete masonry units) it looks like structural clay tile, although SCT is usually not colored.

The face looks like block however,the inside does look like it could possibly be clay.With the home being built in the 60's,I'Am wondering if it is not SCR brick. They were quite prevalent back then. Matter of fact the B.I.A. had a tech note devoted to that system. Do not know if any company produces a SCR brick today.

I was a little puzzled by the texture of the masonry units since they did in someway look like a clay product that had sand in it, but it also looked like a concrete product the had a very fine texture that could hold a lot of water during manufacturing without bulging.

The apparent "motar beds" on the inside of the face shell and the "hand holds" on the webs core look like those common in many concrete products. I do not know of many clay products that tapered cores since they are extruded, but a cast, pressed brick could have contoured cores.

The color would come from the clay deposits, while iron oxides can be used for and permanent color in concrete products.

Indiana does use a lot of brick because of it location in comparison the concrete products. Whatever material, it looks like a part of a quality wall.
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.