Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Project Manager
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the truck/trailer service place today and they are branching out into selling (and installing) Bri-Mar Dump Inserts that fit into the back of a regular pick-up bed (I have a 1-ton).

Right now, on large jobs we always have a dumpster, but frequently we will have 3 or 4 small jobs (all totalling about 1 truckload of debris). I'm contemplating investing in this, but was curious if anyone else has one, used one, heard anything about one, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
What about a dump trailer? Then you could still use your rack and regular truck bed. The only pain in the butt part would probly be dropping off the dump trailer at the job then bringing your tool trailer too.


Dave
 

·
Working
Joined
·
4,127 Posts
My scrap metal guy has one he swears by it, but to me it is just too small. A dump trailer or a dump truck is much better. I have used both truck and trailer both have + and - .
 

·
Project Manager
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about a dump trailer? Then you could still use your rack and regular truck bed. The only pain in the butt part would probly be dropping off the dump trailer at the job then bringing your tool trailer too.


Dave
I thought about the dump trailer, but with only one truck and two trailers I think it would end up being more inconvenient than anything. Most times we are wrapping up a job, hooking up the trailer and loading the truck with debris. Just seems easier to have a dump insert. Plus, they can customize my system one rack to fit onto the dump insert.

My scrap metal guy has one he swears by it, but to me it is just too small. A dump trailer or a dump truck is much better. I have used both truck and trailer both have + and - .
Looked into a dump truck - agree it is much better. But at around 50-60k new, it's out of my budget.

I think a dump trailer is way more versatile.
Agree, but hard to do with a tool trailer and only one tow vehicle.



looks kinda small.
http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=80&categorysid=5
Wonder why Bri-Mar don't make a dump body? Take off the pickup bed and swap.
It's actually more cu/ft than my current 8' bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,407 Posts
They work great, and it's a hellofalot better than hand unloading anyday. the only real downside when i was looking at them was the weight of the unit took away from weight you could haul, so i ended up going with a dump truck (on a 1T platform) that has worked just like i need it to the past 4yrs. 80% of the time it's a rolling dumpster, the other 20% i use it for hauling materials for outside sales and hauling in material for some of our jobs that only require a small load.

Dump trailers are great, minimal insurance, minimum registration, minimum maintenance and ability to haul a great deal of product or waste, but the fact i've been stuck on many a job site and landfill ddragging it around not to mention sometimes just not having the room needed to get a big truck and trailer manuvered to where i want the material placed, though getting stuck was the biggest reason i did'nt like it....but as noted, the capacity is huge so if you never have to see offroad conditions, the trailer is fantastic, get a 14' with ramps and they double as a equipment trailer too.

Overall, i think you'll like it, you'll wonder why you did'nt get one sooner, and as cheap as they are if you dont like it and think you need a bigger unit, sell the insert (they retain resale pretty good) and then buy a trailer or a dedicated dump truck. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
I thought about the dump trailer, but with only one truck and two trailers I think it would end up being more inconvenient than anything. Most times we are wrapping up a job, hooking up the trailer and loading the truck with debris. Just seems easier to have a dump insert. Plus, they can customize my system one rack to fit onto the dump insert.


Thats exactly what I was thinking as I was typing that. It would be a pain to get both trailers to the job. I say go for the dump insert then and modify the rack to fit it. I have seen a few of the inserts around, but I don't personally know anyone that has one. You could even add side tool boxes to it instead of boards, that would be sharp lookin!

I used to load garbage in my pickup and hand unload it too, that sucked!:laughing: I can see why you want a dumper, I'm spoiled with my dump trailer! Heck, I'm not sure where Wayne, PA is but I know the brimars are made around Chambersburg or somewhere around there. At least they are local!


Dave



Dave
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top