Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be building a rumford with a cooking oven above a woodbox eventually. Tunnel arch or dome? Probably wont be very big, 24" inside dimension or so. I would just pop in a rumford kit but we agreed that the brick look on the inside is more "real".

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Low rise dome rectangular would be the best for a real bread oven, say 24"x36" with a 10-12" ceiling height, 6-3/4 vertical walls outside the floor. Insulate and isolate the chit out of it.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The house plans wont give me much more room then this 24" oven will allow. I might have more room front to back but maybe not much more side to side.

Should I go staight up -a brick on edge and one on the flat like that or do a half brick with a 1" angle to make the taper like this?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The house plans wont give me much more room then this 24" oven will allow. I might have more room front to back but maybe not much more side to side.

Should I go staight up -a brick on edge and one on the flat like that or do a half brick with a 1" angle to make the taper like this?

With a 24" oven, I would lay a full height soldier so there is room for the coals and burning wood if they bake with a live fire ( pizza, steak etc). It's not that half height wouldn't work either though....just less room before the dome springs off of it.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Sailors with the floor on the inside. That gives you good height, and no joint to jab into with the peel between the walls and floor. The dome is 2" thick, the sailored 2-1/2 is about right.

There is a dome piece that will give you a 27" interior as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts