Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brazillian cherry installed in july with moisture content of wood within limits.subfloor moisture not checked at time.a/c was on for about a week prior to install. Floor looked great till november. Now there is 1/8"gapping throughout floor. looks bad ...Will this go away in summer when humidity goes up?This was a site sanded and finished floor.........thanks Tom...Wood acclimated for 5 days in a/c before install

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Brazillian cherry installed in july with moisture content of wood within limits.subfloor moisture not checked at time.a/c was on for about a week prior to install. Floor looked great till november. Now there is 1/8"gapping throughout floor. looks bad ...Will this go away in summer when humidity goes up?This was a site sanded and finished floor.........thanks Tom...Wood acclimated for 5 days in a/c before install
Yep, by summer you'll be laughing that you even posted this question:thumbsup:

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
Brazilian Cherry is a lot less dimensionally stable then they say it is.

It shrinks and swells considerably. Your clients needed to be educated about it and the effects of humidity & wood, or their expectations will never be met. The worst are people that have never had wood floors in any home they have lived in. Their expectations are sky high.

This is also why I document all moisture reading on the back of the contract, keeping a job log there. If a concern ever arises, I can see what changed.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Brazilian Cherry is a lot less dimensionally stable then they say it is.

It shrinks and swells considerably. Your clients needed to be educated about it and the effects of humidity & wood, or their expectations will never be met. The worst are people that have never had wood floors in any home they have lived in. Their expectations are sky high.
Especially at $30Sf

·
Registered
123 Posts

I have Brazilian cherry also. Same thing happen when my furnace
started. I also have 1/8 gaps also. Come summertime they do close up
a little but still looks bad. My oak floor looks great after 8 year. My floor guy said
He can wood fill and sand again,but won't promise me ìt won't open up again. Never
again will I use this wood in my home again.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you live in Michigan, install a friggin' humidifier and keep the house at the same friggin humidity as it was when you installed it. No problem. I'll never understand why someone will pay thousands of dollars for a wood floor but hesitate at installing a few hundred dollar humidifier!:furious:

I's gots more different woods in my house then most people and I have yet to see any major gapping issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gotta agree with CDAT...moisture and movement have been issues with wood since man cut the first tree. An informed client is a happy client! With all the new composite flooring options I am surprised that people continue with hardwood. That being said, a 1/8" gap "throughout" the floor is excessive and the underlying problem should be found. While wood does shrink and swell with all things "Godly" it should have some continuity. Try the humi first and good luck!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
excessive width of gap depnds on the width of the board.

1/8 is excessive in 21/4 but in planks it can be considered a normal opening.

if you have forced air with no humidifcation,then this will shrink the hell out of BC.

I advise checking the basement for pipes that are not insulated and "hot spots" sich as ducts, furnace etc and try insulating these areas to stop the transmission of heat the the floor.

if the gaps seem wider and , patterned or in specific areas, this very well may be the issue.

if its throughout the entire floor and the gaps are normal fopr the size of plank, then it is a simple shrinking issue from being too dry..

·
Insert title
4,692 Posts
I have it installed in my living room as a border that's 6 planks wide an I don't have any gaps. I could be wrong but I think it's more dense than maple (the center of my floor) and it doesn't have any gaps either. Not sure if the 2.25" of subflooring under it makes a difference.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I thought this was going to be about some hot brazillian chicks.:furious:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.