Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
As far as I can tell there are certain parts of the country where the water can do damage to the brass fittings. But thats the only difference I know of...
Water in motion is the most corrosive force on the planet, look at the Grand Canyon as an example.

I can't help you on the brass or bronze thing though, PEX is not code approved here.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
Pay close attention to fitting manufacturer. We've had a bunch that failed because of thin metal - the fittings were light weight compared to what has been used for years. These were all brass, but you can bet it happens with any kind.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Nothing to do with it. H20 corrodes thru dissolution or abrasion.
H2O combined with other chemicals in potable water such as chlorine will oxidize metals. Put some cast iron in a glass of water.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pex with brass fittings. You shouldn't have any issues with it failing in your life time, and by that time, the current homeowner will be remodeling anyway! There is no doubt if you have well water, especially like mine where it has a high level of calcium and you use a lot of salt to soften the water, that it is probably going to be the hardest circumstance your going to find on your plumbing, but I think it will still hold up for the long term fairly well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts