Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Someone from Florida might help but you are asking anonymous people on the internet about legal obligations. I would do what I did and contact the licensing agencies. I imagine you need a state contractor's license and number. Here, Labor and Industries issues them and they will tell you what you need, namely insurance and a bond. You should find an insurance agent that specializes in business insurance, the guy I found was able to quote numbers in seconds on the phone while other had to check up on it, and his numbers were about half. Plus he had good advice.

You also should check with the city, they may require a license as well. If you are operating out of a home, will they allow it? You may need a shop in a commercial zone. And of course don't leave out the feds. You'll need to start withholding social security on your employees and maybe health insurance now? Then worker's comp, etc. Employees are expensive so they better earn their keep. You'll probably make less once you greased all the palms, at least for a few years.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts