Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going past night 11pm down a road that has 50mph speed limit, driving my small car, Acura TL 2003. I was like always 60mph and drove that road thousands of times. Two lines in one direction, medium 20' or so and 2 lines in other direction. I was in the left line and some badger or so ran just in front of me. Instead of hitting it I decided to brake sharply and turn the wheel slightly to the left. Whell car slides off, it jumps at medium approximately 2' in. The worst, cars from the opposite directions were right at the wrong place. I sharply turned the steering wheel to the right and managed to return the car in my line. I thought I did some damage as there was some noise for a while but it turns out this morning the noise is gone. Guess there was some dirt stuck around wheel. Any way grass and dirt at front bottom, and especially at the rear wheel, but at other parts on the driver's side.
I guess when brake sharply avoid turning steering wheel if possible. At last, I tried to save a soul. I didn't feel I hit it and another car that was in right line was, I guess, farther down road till that thing come to right line.
As you can see my rear wheel was like 6" into dirt. It is how look after cleaning. Some car behind me slowed and kept, how long was driving behind me, distance like 100 yards. Like I'm a maniac. I guess it is what comes to these days. If you are ready to risk your property to save some animal you are a maniac.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Tread

·
Eater of sins.
Doer of...things...stuff...
5,098 Posts
You were not a maniac, you were just being stupid. I never panic stop or swerve for a small animal. I will try to break without locking up if possible but if I hit the animal, so be it.
Now if it is the size of a deer or a moose then yeah, then depending on how fast I may be going I try and avoid that but otherwise...road kill.

Andy.

·
Design Build
10,905 Posts
Glad you survived and we’re not reading an obituary.
Black ice sends people off road often around here in the winter.

Reactions: reggi

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,395 Posts
When you turn without sliding, there is a radial static friction vector on the front tires. When you brake, there is another static friction vector in the plane, orthogonal to the wheel's axis (and the radial vector). These vectors are additive. The vector sum of two, nonzero orthogonal vectors will always be larger in magnitude than either of those two vectors (think triangles - vector sum would be the hypotenuse). When the magnitude of the vector sum of the two constituent vectors in the horizontal plane exceeds the maximum static friction (which depends on tires, road surface, moisture, heat, vehicle weight, etc), the tire will slide.

Larger friction forces, even if they aren't large enough to cause sliding, also create more heat. Even with just normal driving in my truck, I try to reduce speed before turns and accelerate smoothly through them. Less wear on tires, less vehicle body roll, less spilled coffee on my shirt.

Reactions: tipitop and Railman

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,395 Posts
Also, I always brake for cute little animals, unless it will endanger another driver. It's the least we can do. Chipmunks will inherit the earth if I have anything to say about it.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I treat all animals with the same carelessness they treat the road. Dogs and cats aside, don’t be a twitchy squirrel in my path. I’m holding the line. One of us has to be predictable. I bet I’ve squished more squirrels than the next guy. No sweat off my brow.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When it gets interesting photo of place and exact positions. My car is red line, another car parallel with me is blue. Little fellow is white and two cars in opposite direction is green. That another car that follow me 100 yards away after incident wasn't close at that point to. If I would not sharply counter steer in split second probably would slam in two green cars.
Plant Ecoregion World Natural environment Map

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you turn without sliding, there is a radial static friction vector on the front tires. When you brake, there is another static friction vector in the plane, orthogonal to the wheel's axis (and the radial vector). These vectors are additive.
Will copy paste to my word processor. Like it. No I will not do much more braking and turning. It was a shock to me that I lost control of the car. I was thinking just drive close to medium, not to jump at it. If it were winter and even with clear roads who knows what would happen. Btw never had at fault accident in my life.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
If I would not sharply counter steer in split second probably would slam in two green cars.
But you created the need for that counter-steer by trying to avoid the animal in the first place. Like most people, I'll try to avoid hitting an animal, but I rarely use much steering to do so. That's just asking for bigger trouble.

I hit a deer on the way to the job yesterday. Saw it coming, stood on the brakes, and that let it get mostly past me. I just patted its butt--no marks on the van, and the deer ran into the woods. Had I tried to steer out of that situation, most likely the deer would have been badly hurt or I/my van would have.

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,583 Posts
When you turn without sliding, there is a radial static friction vector on the front tires. When you brake, there is another static friction vector in the plane, orthogonal to the wheel's axis (and the radial vector). These vectors are additive. The vector sum of two, nonzero orthogonal vectors will always be larger in magnitude than either of those two vectors (think triangles - vector sum would be the hypotenuse). When the magnitude of the vector sum of the two constituent vectors in the horizontal plane exceeds the maximum static friction (which depends on tires, road surface, moisture, heat, vehicle weight, etc), the tire will slide.

Larger friction forces, even if they aren't large enough to cause sliding, also create more heat. Even with just normal driving in my truck, I try to reduce speed before turns and accelerate smoothly through them. Less wear on tires, less vehicle body roll, less spilled coffee on my shirt.
There's no crossed eyed emoji...

I followed some of that and, in my youth, would take the time to dissect the rest for a full understanding. At this point, I just go with a "Yup, just what I was thinking..."

I got the practical application of the scientific method mentioned.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
You were not a maniac, you were just being stupid. I never panic stop or swerve for a small animal. I will try to break without locking up if possible but if I hit the animal, so be it.
Now if it is the size of a deer or a moose then yeah, then depending on how fast I may be going I try and avoid that but otherwise...road kill.

Andy.
The honey badger dont care.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,428 Posts

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 62 Posts