Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brad length do you guys go with for shoe mold? Do you basically just nail the shoe to the base or do you penetrate further? I'm assuming no one pins the shoe, 18 gauge standard for you trim subs?

·
90%-er
1,438 Posts
Always 18 gauge for us. And I try to fire through the trim and hit the bottom plate of the wall to help pin everything together nice and tight.

Although it occurs to me that if you ever wanted to put new flooring in, it would be nice to be able to just pop off the shoe instead of the whole trim. And that would be easier if it were just tacked down independently.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
18 guage, 1" or 1 1/4" Base should already be nailed on securely, not need to use long nails.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I wouldn't say it's necessarily wrong, but myself, - - I only use pins in when it's in conjunction with glue. In other words, I'm only using the pins to hold something long enough for the glue to set . . .

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I wouldn't say it's necessarily wrong, but myself, - - I only use pins in when it's in conjunction with glue. In other words, I'm only using the pins to hold something long enough for the glue to set . . .
Yup, I do that elsewhere.

As for the shoe, I just keep the fasteners a little bit long. Basically, I got hooked after doing some prefinished stuff on some tight budget jobs. Not that it makes it right, but anyway... Now I'm attached to this new habit...we'll see.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I like to get my 15ga nail low enough in the base so when I run the shoe it gets covered and then run 1" or 1.25" 18ga brads for the shoe.

I do the same thing, I will get my base nails low enough to be covered by the shoe. I'm usually the one puttying and painting.

Then 1 1/4" nails for the shoe.

Dave

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If it's a true shoe 1/2" thick max, I use a 23 gauge 1-3/8" pin.

If it's actually quarter round, I use 18 gauge, 1-9/16" brad. But I try to avoid using quarter round in lieu of shoe. It just ain't right. Given a choice, I'd rather use a modified stop for that application than quarter round.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've been debating on getting a pinner, had wondered how many guys use them for shoe. I don't do much that I need a pinner for but I'm always looking for an excuse for a new tool.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I've been debating on getting a pinner, had wondered how many guys use them for shoe. I don't do much that I need a pinner for but I'm always looking for an excuse for a new tool.
For me, it was kind of like when I debated to get a multi-master. Once I got it, I wondered what took me so long and learned that maybe I didn't have the imagination I thought I did. Great tool.:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
All tiny mouldings I use 23 gauge pin-nailer and on my finished cabinet cornices the same pin-nailer.
[URL="http://shiptonconstruction.com[/URL]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just an informational post for you guys;

Shoe mould's main purpose is to cove the joint between the bottom of the baseboard and the flooring.

That joint will move some with seasonal moisture. Especially with ballon framing.

For this reason, shoe should (in the traditional fashion) should be secured NOT to the baseboard but diagonally into the sub floor. This will allow the base to move behind the shoe and the shoe will stay tight to the floor.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just an informational post for you guys;

Shoe mould's main purpose is to cove the joint between the bottom of the baseboard and the flooring.

That joint will move some with seasonal moisture. Especially with ballon framing.

For this reason, shoe should (in the traditional fashion) should be secured NOT to the baseboard but diagonally into the sub floor. This will allow the base to move behind the shoe and the shoe will stay tight to the floor.

Bob
This can depend on what flooring is going down if it is a engineered/laminate floating floor, or around cabinet and island kickers and for newer home securing it to the vertical material behind is better.

http://shiptonconstruction.com

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I like to figure that the depth of penitration is at least equal to the thickness of material being nailed.
1/2 thick base + 1/2 drywall = 1 1/2 nail minimum.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Brian2014 said:
This can depend on what flooring is going down if it is a engineered/laminate floating floor, or around cabinet and island kickers and for newer home securing it to the vertical material behind is better.

As long as you are aware that attaching to the base does not allow shoe to remain covering the base/floor joint with seasonal movement. Flooring material makes no difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As long as you are aware that attaching to the base does not allow shoe to remain covering the base/floor joint with seasonal movement. Flooring material makes no difference.
Seasonal movement in really old homes that were build under different codes maybe. Today the floor trusses are engineered. The only lift is from roof trusses that can make interior walls raise and that does not happen to often. I guess here in Calgary we never get those problems because houses are not over a 100 years.

Basement floors are a different story all together...:thumbsup:

With todays new floating floors its just a NO NO to nail into them.;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts