Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a picture that a customer gave to me and it looks like there is SHEETROCK painted white under the chair rail instead of wood panel
with "box wainscoting" made with base cap.

Is this standard for a "box wainscoat" without a wood panel behind it?

Semi-gloss white?

any ideas?

Thanks Guys

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Yup. This is chair rail, base and panel molding over drywall.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
that is spectacular!! holy crap!!!

so it has to be wood behind the base cap, not white painted sheetrock, Right?
The curved staircase has 2 layers of 1/4" rock over 8" centered studs, nothing else. All the trim is over rock, stud nailed and painted semi-gloss white.:thumbsup: All the trim is MDF.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Alright, who screwed up the triangle under the stairs? :laughing:
I did.:whistling I framed AND trimmed that house, so it was all my fault.:laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Did you use flex moulding Rez or were you able to beat some regular stuff into submission?
All MDF. The chair was pretty stout, as was the base, but I whooped up on it pretty good.:laughing: The panel molding is actually the top of some left over baseboard that I ripped down.:whistling The remainder of it got used in the garage.:thumbup:

Reactions: J F

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Looks great...except for that damn triangle. :w00t:
As if it didn't already keep me up at night.:furious:

:laughing:

Reactions: J F

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
It's done on a lot more than tract homes, even before this recession.
That's true, although, I have two bids out on identical foyers directly across the street from each other as we type. They're in a tract development and I hope my name travels in both directions, from one end to the other. It ain't really that cheap in a furnished home in a 2 story foyer, with crown and wall panels throughout.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Look at it this way:

Let's say a client can afford you for 2 days at your price (shadow boxes)...but can't afford your time (and material) for the extra it would take to do rail and stile boxes.

a) Do what they can afford...at your price.

b) Don't do anything for them.

:whistling

1 - 20 of 33 Posts