Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are throwing around the idea of a box truck. We want one with an 18' box so we can move materials without worrying about weather. I already have some layout ideas for the box interior that would make our lives much much easier. There are a lot of trailer threads but not much info on box trucks.

Suggestions as far as manufacturer, door configurations and anything else we need to know would be very welcome.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just spoke with a guy yesterday that has a Mitsubishi with a 16' box and said he gets 18mpg running empty.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Just spoke with a guy yesterday that has a Mitsubishi with a 16' box and said he gets 18mpg running empty.:thumbsup:
Doubtful, my best was 13 empty all highway. Mitsubishi's rust away quickly, heater lines, fuel lines, battery box, fuel tank straps, front bumper, rear bumper. Prob with anti lock brake pump and ECM. More power than Isuzu but much less than a gas p/u or van.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
We are throwing around the idea of a box truck. We want one with an 18' box so we can move materials without worrying about weather. I already have some layout ideas for the box interior that would make our lives much much easier. There are a lot of trailer threads but not much info on box trucks.

Suggestions as far as manufacturer, door configurations and anything else we need to know would be very welcome.
youtube ron paulk. he did a badass 1000cf trick out. also check out his trailer set up as well as the attached pdf. 18' straight job is no different then 18" trailer except it's higher. don't forget the picts. we gotta have the picts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My preference for the box part of the truck (If the vehicle is a truck, it's called a box truck - if the vehicle is a van, it's called a cutaway van) is one that uses FRP (fiberglass reinforced plywood) as opposed to those with aluminum frame and skin. I like Bay Bridge, Morgan and Supreme (in that order). I also prefer a cutaway van with cab to box access. You can't get that with a truck or NPR vehicle. The Bay Bridge box has a floor that is about six inches lower than a Morgan or Supreme. It has boxes over the wheels. Some may prefer the totally flat floor like Morgans and Supremes have. All of these are available with a slide-out ramp.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Just make sure it has a fiberglass top that lets light enter.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Just make sure it has a fiberglass top that lets light enter.
I had 2 with a translucent roof and 1 without, I like the one without better. In the summer it got real hot inside there.

Everything with the bigger trucks is more expensive except the initial cost.
$1000 king pins, $400 oil changes, $900 rear brake jobs, $250 tires etc etc

In NJ your ins will jump up with anything over 10k lbs

Ever think about Aluminum step vans?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I had 2 with a translucent roof and 1 without, I like the one without better. In the summer it got real hot inside there.

Everything with the bigger trucks is more expensive except the initial cost.
$1000 king pins, $400 oil changes, $900 rear brake jobs, $250 tires etc etc

In NJ your ins will jump up with anything over 10k lbs

Ever think about Aluminum step vans?

I've had both, too. Even though I'm in Texas, I prefer the translucent top. I throw a tarp over the translucent top if I'm going to be working in it for any amount of time. I couldn't get enough light in the one without it during the day. Lighting at night doesn't take much. But with one's pupils fully constricted on a bright day, you either have to have an enormous amount of light or wait for your pupils to dilate. I'm usually just in to grab something and get out, so the heat doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Windwash
1 - 15 of 15 Posts