Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from a couple of different sources on the internet (Reviews and a few other forums) that a lot of the power tools sold at places like Lowes and HD are made with lower grade parts and components than tools found at local lumber yards and such. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm pretty sure that some of the home centers get there own kit/part numbers to eliminate the price match issue. I remeber years ago when woodworkers warehouse was still around, I tried to get a price match on a tool with a home depot ad, and exactly while the specs were exactly the same they added another letter at the end so woodworkers wouldn't do a match.

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's hard to say what they do. I was at menards the other day (chain of box stores around here) and was looking at their Bosch mitre & table saws they had on display. Both were made in thailand which kind of suprised me as my other bosch stuff is made in Switzerland.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I don't buy it. I Don't think large companys would want to risk putting out junk tools...i wouldn't. I do think that the box stores do stock the lower end tools that the manufactuer offers, but that is about it, and if you just watch the model numbers I have never had a problem...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe they do. I know Kohler does it with their generators. The 17Kw resi model is an example I can think of right off. The normal part number is 17res, and there is an extra number or letter for the Lowes model and it's the low quality version. It's true because the Kohler rep was a presentation and told us this.

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't buy it. I Don't think large companys would want to risk putting out junk tools...i wouldn't. I do think that the box stores do stock the lower end tools that the manufactuer offers, but that is about it, and if you just watch the model numbers I have never had a problem...
I don't know. It seems like quality of most tools out there (hand & power) have gone down significantly over the years (compare old craftsman tools to new ones for example). I think if the $ is good, then quality gets put on the backburner.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Urban legend. They may sell the lower spec version, but if the part numbers match, then you are getting the same thing. The key is to match the part numbers.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I think the confusion lies in model numbers, the Box stores will often sell lower end models than a tool store. I dont think a modell # #### sold at Home Dopey will have different internals than the same model being sold at Toolwharehouse. GMOD

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
Its a NET myth. They just buy quantities and the small guys can't keep up. I was in my tool store and the Makita rep was there getting a hole torn because HD was selling something for what they had to buy Wholesale. HD and the rest are as bad as WalMart on killing the little guy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
One way to check this would to be go on a parts suppliers site & look at the schematic & see if there is any internal parts speced different for a HD or Lowes model.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that many times those lower models are created for the chain stores. That's why sometimes you'll see an HD at the end of the part number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts