Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Remodeler
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homeowner wanted to know why his living room floor was so bouncy.. I pulled down a few tiles in the drop ceiling below and found this. I watched the 2x8 floor joists bow and pivot in their hangers when the 250lb homeowner bounced above. The joists are only spanning 9' between a microlam on one end and a 2x8 bolted to a steel I-beam shown in the picture.

Since I dont own the coveted board stretcher :w00t: so I can remove the 1/2" plywood scraps, anyone care to offer an opinion on securing these joists properly? Sister new full length? Opinions appreciated.

Attachments

·
Pro
506 Posts
Homeowner wanted to know why his living room floor was so bouncy.. I pulled down a few tiles in the drop ceiling below and found this. I watched the 2x8 floor joists bow and pivot in their hangers when the 250lb homeowner bounced above. The joists are only spanning 9' between a microlam on one end and a 2x8 bolted to a steel I-beam shown in the picture.

Since I dont own the coveted board stretcher :w00t: so I can remove the 1/2" plywood scraps, anyone care to offer an opinion on securing these joists properly? Sister new full length? Opinions appreciated.

pop the tecos off, yank the plywood, cut back the joist and inch and a half, lag a 2x10 to the steel pack-out. re-teco the joists to your new ledger.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
I cant imagine that those joist hangers are very strong in situ.

If it was just one, I would say sister them but with all the holes for the mechanicals that would be a monumental task.

What a mess!

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
pop the tecos off, yank the plywood, cut back the joist and inch and a half, lag a 2x10 to the steel pack-out. re-teco the joists to your new ledger.:thumbsup:
Sounds like a plan.

·
The Remodeler
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plan.
Understood... have a small issue with that though...

The joists were cut back to allow the flange on the I-beam to slide past. The existing 2x8 pack-out (thanks for teaching me a new term) doesnt come flush with the edge of the flange, that's why they slid the plywood scraps in there.

If I cut the joists back to just 1 1/2" from the existing pack-out, I wont be able to slide the new 2x8 ledger in there.. the edge of the steel flange is still in the way.

Know another way around this? Larger piece of plywood with a generous nailing pattern and taller hangers?

·
Super Moderator
10,597 Posts
Go with the wider strips of plywood with glue and nails. Also get some hangers that extend up higher so that it fully wraps the joist.

·
Pro
506 Posts
yank the tecos and the scrap plywood turds. counter-sink their thru-bolts. throw continuous plywood rips in to bring you closer to the cuts on the fj's. put some decent tecos on and roll up. they should have pack the steel flush, i usually do the plywood first, then the lumber. don't see going the other way being much of a problem. if you want to glue it like the other comment said, go for it, it can't hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts