Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ques:
1) What is the best way to compensate for trusses that are not level looking along the bottoms?
2) Deal with the facia board at the end of the trusses?

Background.
I have a porch area where two to three or the roof trusses are lower (about 1 inch) than the other trusses. It appears the cause for the sag is that the block over the window looking out to the porch sagged during construction and was NOT corrected prior to the trusses being installed. Structurally everything is solid as home is over 30 years old.

These same trusses have drywall attached inside the home to the same bottom truss leg, so jacking the trusses up to get alignment is NOT an option both because of the attached drywall and potentially issues with the clay tile roof.

Initially I was going to create a hanging frame below the trusses to level the bottom for the under porch decking, but that will make the the facia board thinner on the ends than in the middle by about 1 inch.

Any idea appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks all for input.

jlsconstruction:

Sister them with the "sister" level with the rest of the trusses
Since the ones I'm concerned about are lower Not higher, then I would need to sister
All the other truss bottom chords. I believe this would add a lot of additional weight over going with a simple frame.

Either way this still leaves my issue with the facia board needing to be wider (e.g. need to use a 2x10 in lieu of 2 x 8 or whatever is mounted on the truss ends).

ScriptoAfricanus appreciate the feedback re: truss terminology.
Jacking the trusses up I think would still be a good option.
While I agree the most preferred method to "get things right", as I'm jacking under the porch area to lift the trusses, this will most likely break the tape and bedding
between the ceiling (attached to the bottom truss cord) and the inside wall(s).
If I cut this (tape and bedding at wall / ceiling) first then a small splice of drywall may need be be added -- which is doable.

Since the ceiling is attached to to the lower truss cord -- that runs through several rooms -- about 25 feet in total, the question is whether:

1) the two to three trusses that need to be raised (approx center of rooms) will pull the drywall away from the walls such that the ceiling will also need to be patched
where it meets the walls
2) Impact if any on the kitchen cabinets which butt up against the ceiling where these trusses sit.
3) Whether there is enough play in the electrical wiring.
4) Whether there is any plumbing vent pipes of concern since part of kitchen impacted.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Trim your bottom chord!

I doubt 1" will srturcturally affect your soffit truss....(is it 4 or 6:) but if you're worried... sister onto your trimed chord.... and if you have heavy loads.... snow etc..... ask an eng.

Or just shim down your other chords.... can't be that much work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks all for feedback. Guess we covered all possible options.

Mtn Remodel LLC: re:

Trim your bottom chord!
Would not even consider in this application. Believe the tile roof works out at 1000 lbs per square,
and with the trusses cantilevered about 4-5 feet past the supporting block wall don't want to bring the roof down.

Sistering also has me concerned somewhat as sistering (just the cantilever portion as running parallel bottom cords all the way is NOT doable) of 30 trusses has got to add quite a bit of weight to the truss?? Whether is will add more strength by bolting them together is outside my area of expertise.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thanks all for feedback. Guess we covered all possible options.

Mtn Remodel LLC: re:

Would not even consider in this application. Believe the tile roof works out at 1000 lbs per square,
and with the trusses cantilevered about 4-5 feet past the supporting block wall don't want to bring the roof down.

Sistering also has me concerned somewhat as sistering (just the cantilever portion as running parallel bottom cords all the way is NOT doable) of 30 trusses has got to add quite a bit of weight to the truss?? Whether is will add more strength by bolting them together is outside my area of expertise.
Heavy weight cemnent tile huh.....:thumbup: Yes I agree given both the dead load and the cantilever..... but might be worthwhile to call the truss co or and eng.... might be an easy fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.