Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my older bostitch N55 coil nailer working again and after replacing all the gaskets i found that the seal on the safety valve that is located on the cap end(#35 in photo) is bad. If anyone is familiar with bostitch coil nailers i'm talking about the tiny hole right next to 1/4 in. air hookup that allows air to exit the gun if the PSI gets to high. So My Question is would it be dangerous to tap and seal this little hole shut with a screw so that I can use this gun again? It is not going to get much use, but I want to be sure that taping the hole is not potentially creating a mini bomb.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Replace the seal. I can't imagine it would be a very expensive part. That being said, if you only hook the gun up to a 125psi compressor, you should be good. This is of course providing that the pressure switch on the compressor doesn't fail, in which case you may have a mini bomb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That being said, if you only hook the gun up to a 125psi compressor, you should be good.
Thanks! I'd like to just replace the part, but this is an older bostitch coil nailer and they no longer sell the part that I need. I'm only going to be using this gun on a regulated air line in my shop, and i'm hoping that if the pressure did get to high that one of the o rings would blow out before blowing my hand off.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sounds like its time for a new nailer to me. Jerry rigging tools is a bad habit. Someday if someone gets hurt you will deeply regret it. It might not be you who gets hurt. Its like jerry rigging a skilsaw with a sticky guard. Wont be long till someone has an accident due to it sticking. Take it out of service immediately until it is fixed properly. Buy a similar one at the pawn shop and keep it for parts. Tools wear out and replacing them is part of the game. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said this nailer is only going to get some occasional use around my shop, definitely not about to bring it out to a job site. For any one who might come across this forum with the same problem I've spoken to a couple repair technicians that told me the hole is not needed, and it is safe to plug. I used a 6/32 tap with a 6/32 x 1/2" screw and a little loctite, Works Great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts