Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to try something new I used Bostik Gold Plus liquid membrane on a customer's floor - kitchen and hallway. I might have used Ditra in the past, but I felt comfortable with the liquid membrane in this case - it's over a cork acoustic layer, over a 40-year-old 8" concrete slab in a highrise, that isn't moving anywhere.

For anyone who isn't familiar with it, let's say it's like RedGard, though for some reason I've never liked RedGard.

Well, I laid it down thick, and it dried to a very stretchy, strong, rubbery film. It doesn't get slimy the way RedGard does if you get it wet. It feels as if except for being stuck hard to the cork, it would pull up in one big sheet.

So I'm considering using it in a tub surround. Bostik's marketing claim is that it's appropriate for that use. I haven't used anything but Kerdi in a surround for maybe 10 years, but the convenience of a roll-on membrane is tempting me.

Any comments?

- Bob

Edit: The materials cost is a little less than Kerdi, but that's not an important motivation.

Edit again: I'm also considering Hydroban for these sorts of applications. Maybe that's where I just ought to go right away.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
How many coats for waterproofing? Is it an anti-fracture,too? Dry times?

Currently. I used Aqua D or Redguard in liquids. While Hydrban is a very good product, it seems most installers tape the seams and 2x coat. I already do that with the others at less cost.

I'll have to look into the Bostik. It's new to me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many coats for waterproofing? Is it an anti-fracture,too? Dry times?

Currently. I used Aqua D or Redguard in liquids. While Hydrban is a very good product, it seems most installers tape the seams and 2x coat. I already do that with the others at less cost.

I'll have to look into the Bostik. It's new to me.
30 mils dry thickness (thickness of a credit card); can be 1 or 2 coats. It supposedly can dry and be tiled in 1 hour, though mine was still tacky after an hour. It is also an anti-fracture membrane, and seems to bridge cracks greater than their recommended 1/8" pretty easily.

I think it was $160 for the 4 gallon bucket; $around 50 for 1 gallon. I just got quoted $85 for 1 gallon of Hydro Ban.

All the Bostik products - from Bostik's Best which is my do-everything adhesive now, to their urethane grouts, have been working great for me, and thought I'd try this one out.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Bostik knows their way around membranes so I would be willing to guinea pig one of their products. My arms are covered in Bostik's Best as I write this and it's pretty damn waterproof! $85 for Hydroban is crazy but you live in Crazyfornia so maybe that's the going rate.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Bostik knows their way around membranes so I would be willing to guinea pig one of their products. My arms are covered in Bostik's Best as I write this and it's pretty damn waterproof! $85 for Hydroban is crazy but you live in Crazyfornia so maybe that's the going rate.
Come to Canada...example

Red Guard...90 bucks

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/redgard-waterproofing-and-crack-prevention-membrane-gallon/921795

US...50 bucks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...00169081?cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-100169081-_-x

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Everything I've ever used of Bostiks has been top notch. I don't see how that would be any different.

Reactions: CarpenterSFO
1 - 6 of 6 Posts