Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who keeps their personal tools from their crew successfully?

I supply the tools for my employees, minus nail bags and normal hand tools. Maybe its just me, but my guys always end up with my tools in their (company) trucks. Its annoying, but not a major issue. They are more "borrowing" than stealing. They dont try to hide them :laughing:

Just curious as to others experience with this.

Reactions: donerightwyo

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Who keeps their personal tools from their crew successfully?

I supply the tools for my employees, minus nail bags and normal hand tools. Maybe its just me, but my guys always end up with my tools in their (company) trucks. Its annoying, but not a major issue. They are more "borrowing" than stealing. They dont try to hide them :laughing:

Just curious as to others experience with this.

well, you did say "Come and take it!"
so they did :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
I don't really mine it. Many times it is necessary as I am not on the job at days end. I do wonder about the implications should a theft occur though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I frequently borrow specialty tools from my boss both for his jobs and my side jobs, but I always ask first if it's a side job and tell him if it's one of his jobs. I have a pretty good selection of tools that stay in my truck, and when I buy specialty tools I try to buy stuff that complements what he already has, rather than being a duplicate. He's even asked to use some of my tools on jobs we've done together before because of this.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
When I have help/subs, I set a rule that if they use something of mine, immediately after use, they return it to where they picked it up.

I'm religious about this.... both to prevent "inadvertant loss" but also so I can find it quickly when I ned it.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
For me, it's easy. All my tools have the company "tag" on them. If it has "FNF" on it, it goes in my gang box or in my truck, no exceptions.

If someone wants to borrow it, it gets logged in the daily journal, so I know where it is. If it gets borrowed without asking, we have issues.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Never. Touch my tools and I will come unglued. We all make the same money. I use mine to became a better carpenter , not to help others out because they blew thier cash on smokes and drinking.

I do tell them leave me the value of the tool in cash and they can have it. This is a sentive subject right now. Working on a job with 3 carpenters and none of them even own a basic tool set. Burns my a$$

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gary H said:
Never. Touch my tools and I will come unglued. We all make the same money. I use mine to became a better carpenter , not to help others out because they blew thier cash on smokes and drinking. I do tell them leave me the value of the tool in cash and they can have it. This is a sentive subject right now. Working on a job with 3 carpenters and none of them even own a basic tool set. Burns my a$$
I usually react similarly. I only work with a couple other guys but I'm more well off - no kids no gf/wife so I can spend my excess on nicer tools. There's some I just don't like letting others use. Some people, my cousin especially who in addition to licensed contracting grew up doing grip jobs in studios sees tools as dispensable products to be used and replaced at will.

I grew up that there is a right tool for every job and treat a tool well and (most) will last a lifetime. He argues that it's money wasted if you always have to return to the truck/shop whatever when you need something vs making some other tool work for your purposes. Case in point? He likes to sharpen his chisels and everything else on a belt sander or grinder, temper be damned sometimes. He grabbed one of my nice chisels to pop off some window jam instead of waiting for me to grab my pry bar. Took a big chip out of it too.

Cousin or not- that was one of the last straws of looking up to the guy. The treat others tools as you want your own adage doesn't work if others treat their stuff as crap. Only thing I willingly load out is my Estwing. At least THAT can't be harmed... Yet. I love the reasoning though. He's in a real hard spot for money after suffering a bad near-work ending neck injury in need of surgery that his union won't help out with really but he still spends money on stuff like smokes when complaining that he "doesn't get paid enough to use his own tools." Sorry for throwing the guy a bone and giving him SOME income. Don't treat my stuff like crap. Yea. Tool loaning to people. Sensitive stuff with me.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
The boss told me if I have any side jobs to come to the shop and take whatever I need. We trade tools back and forth a lot.

·
Super Moderator
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My guys borrow company tools from me all the time for personal and side work.

Im talking about MY stuff. Then when I get to a job and go to get my laser or framing square, its gone. Lol

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I can live with them using company tools. But if its in my truck or my bags leave it alone. I cant stand going for my tape, square or something like that and finding it in some one elses bag.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts

Im talking about MY stuff. Then when I get to a job and go to get my laser or framing square, its gone. Lol
Ah gotcha. I can see how that could be frustrating. :laughing:

·
Registered
594 Posts
We have several crews that some times work together. What pisses me of is when my crew works with another crew and our nice tools magically get replaced with their crappy ones. I take extra care to make sure our tools ate in good condition with maintenance often on my own time just to have it wasted by some lazy ass

·
Registered
121 Posts
I replaced all of my hand floats and trowels before a large job so the guys would have good tools to use. At the end of the project, I reorganized the trailer and found that I had "new" new stuff.

Someone decided that they want to upgrade their stuff with mine. Would have been more upset if they hadn't just helped me pour 1000yds on that job.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,219 Posts
When not working solo, I generally only have 1-2 other guys to deal with, and they're guys I know and trust. Our tools tend to be community property through the day. No point in making a trip to the truck if someone else already has his sidewinder out.

Don't think I'd feel that way with a casual crew, though.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Couple ways to look at it. First is your personal tool/toy (lets just go with laser) something that makes your guys produce more? Enough that if they kept it it would make you money? If they kept yours they might take better care of it because its "pilfered", rather than if you bought them a set directly.

If they took it just because it is kinda cool then I have no answer.

·
Super Moderator
28,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couple ways to look at it. First is your personal tool/toy (lets just go with laser) something that makes your guys produce more? Enough that if they kept it it would make you money? If they kept yours they might take better care of it because its "pilfered", rather than if you bought them a set directly.

If they took it just because it is kinda cool then I have no answer.
Nah, there is a CLS nad PLS 100 in the shop. They take my little Dewalt one because they forgot them :laughing:

Seem to be a lot of folks getting sidetracked with stealing. My hands aren't stealing, they are temporarily (until I see them with it) commandeering my tools they left or lost or what ever.

The only one balsy enough to take something out of nail bags is my brother. He is 6'6' and a big dude. :laughing: Besides, he is a bad azz carpenter, if he needs the tool id loan it to him :thumbsup:

Id still complain though :laughing: He literally is now keeping my Stabila. :blink: Said it has been in his truck more than mine :censored::laughing:

Reactions: charimon

·
Registered
840 Posts
I use my bosses tools when I do not have my own.

He went from resenting me buying any little tool to now loving me with a big pay upgrade.

I respect any tool of his I use and expect the same in return.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have to admit...when I saw the title of the thread, thought it was going to be about bosses who were tools. Aka bad bosses.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
During the course of the job is one thing, but at the end of the day? My tools go with me, no exceptions......that way I know where they are.......some of these guys are so dis organized I'll not see the tool/tools for days, weeks, or ever

1 - 20 of 31 Posts