Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Spud here. New to the forum. I'm a "seasoned" contractor that has taken a job as a project manager in the carpentry dept. of a fire and water restoration company.

Challenging job, decent, steady pay (work through the winter is a selling point in NE PA), company truck, etc. I researched the company on the net, talked to a lot of my contacts and couldn't find any dirt on the company or owner. Some of my contacts said the owner was a prick, but I was raised by a prick and have been accused of the same thing at times... business is business, you know, and their are a lot of whining pussies out there that can't handle a hard day's work.

My resume included the fact that I have been a licensed contractor since 1987 to separate me from the rest of the lot responding to the ad (mix one part general liability/ $500. with one part Online application/ $50 with pick up truck/ ladder combo and one set of balls and voila............instant contractor). My area is swamped with instant contractors that don't know a spudwrench from a coping saw and are giving the profession a bad name, not to mention lowballing bids, which is why I'm in this predicament. I wasn't advertising my license for hire, just weeding out the gypsies.

After my first week, the owner of the company asked me to pull a permit for a roofing job!!! :eek: :no: PA has a state licensing bureau, and the owner has a state license, however the bigger municipalities still require a license issued after passing a proctored exam, which the owner does not have and I possess.

I told the owner that common sense throws a red flag for obvious reasons: liability residing at the top of a long list. Man's a smoooooth talker and cuddled me with bull**** to get out of an awkward conversation. I told him I had to verify the nonsense that spewed from his salesman mentality. Can't find much after googling the **** out of the topic.

Does anyone have any input. Maybe excerpts from legal arguments I can site. Anything to battle this guy with on Monday.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
My question is how does this guy own a water fire restoration company can can't pull his own permit for a roofing job? Every disaster restoration company in my area does loads of roofs. Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
It sounds like your working for one of the (mix one part general liability/ $500. with one part Online application/ $50 with pick up truck/ ladder combo and one set of balls and voila............instant contractor)

I think you can answer this question your self. But just in case you cant. No you shouldn't be pulling permits for him. Like above he has the balls to ask you to do this but i would tell him straight up no.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
"Sure, boss... I'll be more than happy to get that permit for you. Just sign this here document stating that you are hiring me to qualify your company, and pay me $500k a year............"

Reactions: tenon0774

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can work in approximately 90% of my general area (200 mile radius) with a state license. My problems with PA's state licensing are fodder for another topic.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,232 Posts
Just a bit of correction; there is no state-level contractor licensing in PA, just registration. While some of the larger cities do have their own licensing system, in my area that's just a mercantile license--not a proctored exam. But whatever.

There's nothing sinister about not being licensed in a particular municipality if you've been doing your work elsewhere. But I agree that I too would be uncomfortable with putting my license on the line like that. It may not even be legal depending on the particular city's statutes.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Around here it's very common for a superintendent to hold the license for the company he works for, he is simply the examinee for the company. Most of the big track builders are not licensed by the guy that owns the company just a couple of supers on his payroll.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess of you're the roofing sub on this one, get him a quote and if he signs, pull the permit:whistling
Hourly-joe, here. I'm a kickass roofer, at least I used to be, but there's some stiff competition in my area insofaras roofing is concerned. The abovementioned are really lowballing the price per square, getting paid beans and a place to sleep at times.
Absolutely no offense, or ethnic bull here, but these are the facts. I have respect for anyone that works in construction and provides a quality service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess of you're the roofing sub on this one, get him a quote and if he signs, pull the permit:whistling
Around here it's very common for a superintendent to hold the license for the company he works for, he is simply the examinee for the company. Most of the big track builders are not licensed by the guy that owns the company just a couple of supers on his payroll.
I'm sure the supers get super pay. I'm talking decent. Small time maybe leading to bigger things. Website shows around 50 employees in the parking lot, however I currently AM the carpentry department, drawing upon 6 or 7 laborers to get things done. Calling applicants at night to put together a crew.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your input, gentlemen. I'm late for a sidejob. You've verified my instincts. Live long and prosper.............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a bit of correction; there is no state-level contractor licensing in PA, just registration. While some of the larger cities do have their own licensing system, in my area that's just a mercantile license--not a proctored exam. But whatever.

There's nothing sinister about not being licensed in a particular municipality if you've been doing your work elsewhere. But I agree that I too would be uncomfortable with putting my license on the line like that. It may not even be legal depending on the particular city's statutes.
I missed this one and have to reply before I go: I agree- nothing sinister, however my 87 year old mother in law can obtain general liability insurance , and register as a contractor, thereby enabling her to tear up the town, ya know..................

There are unethical scumbags slipping through the cracks. The current economy is still forcing peoples hands, e.g., white collar guys subject to downsizing or whatever, maybe built a deck, or played a contractor on TV, decide to put on the tool belt to put food on the table.

I chose to do this when I still had many options and the future was so bright I wore my sunglasses at night................

·
Registered
344 Posts
Since when does PA have licensing for contractors? They require you to register with the AG every 2 years and that just took place about 4 years ago or so and that only $50. There is no state licencing for contractors that I know of.
And what's with municipalities having an exam you have to pass?
Never heard of that or had a muni in my area ask me to take one. The municipalities in my area only require a yearly contractor fee if you're working within that municipality.

If you're a PM I'm assuming one of your responsibilties as a PM is pulling permits for the jobs you are in charge of.
Don't know what the problem is. You're an employee of the company so why would any liability be on your shoulders.

I'm with Eric K on this one.....doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you're a PM I'm assuming one of your responsibilties as a PM is pulling permits for the jobs you are in charge of.
Don't know what the problem is. You're an employee of the company so why would any liability be on your shoulders.

I'm with Eric K on this one.....doesn't make sense...
I interpreted the O.P. as meaning that the contractor wanted the permit pulled in the O.P.'s name.

·
Super Moderator
28,933 Posts
I re read it and I not see that meaning. Some employee, side jobs already. Moonlight or starve?
I wouldn't read much into side work. Most guys do work on the side, doesnt mean he's taking clients or work from his boss or that its even the same field . I always did side work when I was an employee, but generally not for homeowners.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I wouldn't read much into side work. Most guys do work on the side, doesnt mean he's taking clients or work from his boss or that its even the same field . I always did side work when I was an employee, but generally not for homeowners.
If a man has time and ambition to work past 40, 1.5 hourly should do it. It's always been my perspective the job is 1st priority.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts