Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Bosch hd19-2 keyed hammer drill

5080 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ScipioAfricanus
He chuck on my hammer drill is shot. Took it to the only repair shop I know of and they specialize in Milwaukee and couldn't fix it. I've looked up ways to remove, but this chuck doesn't have a retaining screw inside of it. The key won't tighten the chuck. Me and dad tried to tighten with a vise n pipe wrench but we couldn't tell if we were helping or hurting it. Any experience out there with this?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
is it junk or just stuck or tight.

If stuck or tight
mount lightly in vise chuck up.
fill with trenapaintin oil

let sit over night and blowout w/ air
It's shot
Someone help please.
A new chuck cost $40+ shipping and that drill can't be worth much more than that. Look to see if you can find a reconditioned one and throw that old one out.
Drill is over 100. Anyone know how to get it off?
Call Bosch.

1-877-267-2499
Drill is over 100. Anyone know how to get it off?
put a large hex in the chuck and tighten it. There is a hole in side where the side handle mounts. Put a pin punch in there to lock the spindle. Whack the hex key counterclockwise form the front with a hammer, and it should come off.

I just realized you said the chuck won't tighten. In that case probably have to grab the chuck with a pipe wrench.
Try to tighten the chuck around an allan key designed for an impact gun. If you can get the key tight use impact to remove chuck. It may be left hand thread, so you tighten to remove.

Tom
Most drill chucks are right hand threads, if there's a screw inside, that'll usually be left hand threads.
The hex key in the chuck worked it was a ***** to tighten but I somehow got it. I bought a Jacobs chuck that was on sale at menards for 24 bucks and the drill is like new. Thank you so much guys. I really didn't want to let that drill go.
Reactions: m1911
Keep the chuck clean. Blow it out after use. I do not recommend anything but a little graphite to lubricate that chuck. Look for Lock Ease.

Tom
I always spray my chucks with wd40 and blow out with air.
I avoid oil based products with concrete dust. It sticks and gums up the works.

Tom
I always spray my chucks with wd40 and blow out with air.
perhaps dry lube or graphite is better?

so I should not be using CV grease in my SDS chuck? :blink:
I avoid oil based products with concrete dust. It sticks and gums up the works.

Tom
I have not had a problem with Lock Ease, I think the benzene evaporates the liquid pretty quickly. Powered graphite is a mess. Dry lube may be a good choice, never used it.

Yes, you use a small amount of grease on the SDS style bits. The CV joint grease is an extreme high pressure grease and a good choice. It decreases wear in the chuck. The SDS units have dust shields and function differently than a 3 jaw Jacobs chuck.

Tom
perhaps dry lube or graphite is better?

so I should not be using CV grease in my SDS chuck? :blink:
Reactions: m1911
good, because I've been squeezing moly grease in my SDS chucks for ever...
To remove the chuck, put the drill in a vise or have someone hold it down on something steady, then put the largest allen/hex wrench/key into the Chuck and tighten the chuck, make sure the wrench is secure in it and strike in a counter clockwise direction the allen/hex wrench you will have to hit it hard to loosen, just make sure you're going counter clockwise.
He chuck on my hammer drill is shot. Took it to the only repair shop I know of and they specialize in Milwaukee and couldn't fix it. I've looked up ways to remove, but this chuck doesn't have a retaining screw inside of it. The key won't tighten the chuck. Me and dad tried to tighten with a vise n pipe wrench but we couldn't tell if we were helping or hurting it. Any experience out there with this?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.