Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He chuck on my hammer drill is shot. Took it to the only repair shop I know of and they specialize in Milwaukee and couldn't fix it. I've looked up ways to remove, but this chuck doesn't have a retaining screw inside of it. The key won't tighten the chuck. Me and dad tried to tighten with a vise n pipe wrench but we couldn't tell if we were helping or hurting it. Any experience out there with this?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
put a large hex in the chuck and tighten it. There is a hole in side where the side handle mounts. Put a pin punch in there to lock the spindle. Whack the hex key counterclockwise form the front with a hammer, and it should come off.

I just realized you said the chuck won't tighten. In that case probably have to grab the chuck with a pipe wrench.

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
Try to tighten the chuck around an allan key designed for an impact gun. If you can get the key tight use impact to remove chuck. It may be left hand thread, so you tighten to remove.

Tom

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hex key in the chuck worked it was a ***** to tighten but I somehow got it. I bought a Jacobs chuck that was on sale at menards for 24 bucks and the drill is like new. Thank you so much guys. I really didn't want to let that drill go.

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
Keep the chuck clean. Blow it out after use. I do not recommend anything but a little graphite to lubricate that chuck. Look for Lock Ease.

Tom

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
perhaps dry lube or graphite is better?

so I should not be using CV grease in my SDS chuck? :blink:
I have not had a problem with Lock Ease, I think the benzene evaporates the liquid pretty quickly. Powered graphite is a mess. Dry lube may be a good choice, never used it.

Yes, you use a small amount of grease on the SDS style bits. The CV joint grease is an extreme high pressure grease and a good choice. It decreases wear in the chuck. The SDS units have dust shields and function differently than a 3 jaw Jacobs chuck.

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts