Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He chuck on my hammer drill is shot. Took it to the only repair shop I know of and they specialize in Milwaukee and couldn't fix it. I've looked up ways to remove, but this chuck doesn't have a retaining screw inside of it. The key won't tighten the chuck. Me and dad tried to tighten with a vise n pipe wrench but we couldn't tell if we were helping or hurting it. Any experience out there with this?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
put a large hex in the chuck and tighten it. There is a hole in side where the side handle mounts. Put a pin punch in there to lock the spindle. Whack the hex key counterclockwise form the front with a hammer, and it should come off.

I just realized you said the chuck won't tighten. In that case probably have to grab the chuck with a pipe wrench.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hex key in the chuck worked it was a ***** to tighten but I somehow got it. I bought a Jacobs chuck that was on sale at menards for 24 bucks and the drill is like new. Thank you so much guys. I really didn't want to let that drill go.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
perhaps dry lube or graphite is better?

so I should not be using CV grease in my SDS chuck? :blink:
I have not had a problem with Lock Ease, I think the benzene evaporates the liquid pretty quickly. Powered graphite is a mess. Dry lube may be a good choice, never used it.

Yes, you use a small amount of grease on the SDS style bits. The CV joint grease is an extreme high pressure grease and a good choice. It decreases wear in the chuck. The SDS units have dust shields and function differently than a 3 jaw Jacobs chuck.

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.