Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,i just got a nasty call back about a hump on a slab i apparently missed in an apartment while installing some engineered wood laminate.I always take my 6 " straight edge and go thru the whole place but apparently i missed a huge hump in the LV.Anyways,now that ive been dinged with this repair im thinking a new tool to suss out humps and dips might be in order.Has anyone tried this Bosch laser?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I own use and LOVE the GSL 2. It is one oof the few tools that directly make me money. I take the tool to the jobsite. Check the floor for flatness document it with video on the phone, alert the owner as to the condition of the floor and recommendations if it is out of tolerance.
Most importantly it provides indisputable visual data as to the actual condition of a floor and establishes you as the expert.
It is through this tool I can produce accurate estimates - THAT THE CLIENT CAN VERIFY - for any additional prep work. Or they can sign a waver noting the possable issues from not paying for the additional prep (for me it is usually the possibility of lippage) but they will give informed consent.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I own use and LOVE the GSL 2. It is one oof the few tools that directly make me money. I take the tool to the jobsite. Check the floor for flatness document it with video on the phone, alert the owner as to the condition of the floor and recommendations if it is out of tolerance.
Most importantly it provides indisputable visual data as to the actual condition of a floor and establishes you as the expert.
It is through this tool I can produce accurate estimates - THAT THE CLIENT CAN VERIFY - for any additional prep work. Or they can sign a waver noting the possable issues from not paying for the additional prep (for me it is usually the possibility of lippage) but they will give informed consent.
That is one seriously cool tool...So cool it's the kind I would buy and never use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Charimon,ive seen the videos on this thing but none tell me what happens if i put it in the corner of the room and that corner is either high or low,will the laser tell me the rest of the room is off?thanks

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I hear good and bad about it , a 6" or 6' straightedge will not tell you much , a 10' starts to tell the story, but flattening floors is no easy task , not many in the field are capable of flattening slabs and hardly one at least where I live is poured to the acceptable standard of 3/16" in 10 ft.
The laser gsl as I understand sets in one spot and based on the difference of the two lines determines the height difference from that spot.
We grind and fill areas to bring to an acceptable tolerance, using the 10' straightedge as a guide. I would say that instrument would pay for itself , may be a little technical to a homeowner versus a straightedge but if you become proficient with its use as Charimon says , it will make you money, careful what you ask for, more floor prep will be in your future, but seriously it's what we should be doing anyway.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The most important thing to remember is the tool checks "flatness" not level.

This is accomplished by 2 laser lines forming an "X" there is an adjustment knob that brings the "X" up and down until the plane of the floor bisects it and you see a single line. which is where the bisect of the x <----. When the floor shows 2 lines we know the floor is either above or below the base line. The instructions are clear about how you set it up.

I usually move the laser a few different points around the room just to check the other set places.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I watched bosch's video of the tool, but that's from their perspective not a users down to earth way of describing. Anything I watch about demonstration leaves more questions than the description, mostly because they are negatives to the product. Looking forward to the movie!

·
DO IT RIGHT
107 Posts
This tool does much more then what it is made to do.I will explain.Sales process;I bring it in to first visits with the H.O.IMEDIATLEY it will talk to the H.O.Bet you didn't know that.It is telling them "you are dealing with a professional"It blows them away every time.It works great for doing big areas.Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts