Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CM8S-Si...TF8&qid=1398480695&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+cm8s

I am in the market for a new saw, primarily for flooring and finishing work, something lightweight yet able to take some abuse. I have seen that this Bosch saw is new to the market and was wondering if any of you guys have tested it and or used it that might have some input on it.

If not, any of you tried the makita 7.5" slider ?

http://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=tool&id=66&from=accessory

Thanks for all the help. :clap:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I'd like to see that Bosch in person, looks like a great saw.
The little Makita is a great trim saw, and nice and lightweight.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Without seeing it in person, I'd choose the Makita, if for no other reason than blade availability and cost.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Without seeing it in person, I'd choose the Makita, if for no other reason than blade availability and cost.
as a matter of fact, 8.5" blades are way more common than 7.5"

and yes, I know you can use 7-1/4 blades, but not a true finish blade

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
A guy on another site bought the Makita and loves it. He also mentions the dust collection is awesome!

Considering weight alone the Makita is 28lbs and the Bosch is 37.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Don't forget about the hitachi as well. I have one we use for framing. The weight is a big factor for me to lug it out.
The new Hitachi 8-1/2" sliders are garbage.
I have two of the old Hitachi c8fb2 8-1/2" sliders, probably one of the best trim saws made.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
The bosch only bevels one way, probably not that big a deal but something to keep in mind.
no different from any other 8-1/2 miter saw.
I've never needed a dual bevel in all the years I've used my Hitachi.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
The bosch only bevels one way, probably not that big a deal but something to keep in mind.
I think the Makita is single bevel also. But I hear what you are saying. I like a dual bevel saw. Just don't know if there is a manufacturer that makes a dual bevel under 10".

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
as a matter of fact, 8.5" blades are way more common than 7.5"

and yes, I know you can use 7-1/4 blades, but not a true finish blade
There are several true finish blades on the market. Forest, Tenyru, Bosch, Freud, and DeWalt all make one as well as CMT and Irwin. Check Amazon.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
There are several true finish blades on the market. Forest, Tenyru, Bosch, Freud, and DeWalt all make one as well as CMT and Irwin. Check Amazon.

yes that's true, but by common I meant that the local lumber yard and home center stock several 8.5 blades, and no 7.5

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
yes that's true, but by common I meant that the local lumber yard and home center stock several 8.5 blades, and no 7.5
Ugh. You're being obtuse. 7 1/4 blades work perfectly fine. That's what I was referencing, and yes you can walk in locally and buy them. That wouldn't make a difference to me though, I pretty much order all blades now, and have for quite a while. An Amazon Prime account is well worth it once you realize it saves you time and energy dealing with dumbasses at Home Depot and Lowe's. I go in there for caulking and construction adhesive and that's about it..

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Ugh. You're being obtuse. 7 1/4 blades work perfectly fine. That's what I was referencing, and yes you can walk in locally and buy them. That wouldn't make a difference to me though, I pretty much order all blades now, and have for quite a while. An Amazon Prime account is well worth it once you realize it saves you time and energy dealing with dumbasses at Home Depot and Lowe's. I go in there for caulking and construction adhesive and that's about it..
when I'm on a job and need a blade, I can't postpone the job several days and wait for a blade from amazon that may or may not show up on time. I need to walk into local homecenter and pick one up, and get back to work.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
m1911 said:
when I'm on a job and need a blade, I can't postpone the job several days and wait for a blade from amazon that may or may not show up on time. I need to walk into local homecenter and pick one up, and get back to work.
That's where the amazon drones are gonna come in handy!

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Apparently reading comprehension is not a strong suit. 7 1/4 blades work just fine. There are several finish level blades in that size that you can buy at any home center. At least here there are. I don't see why they wouldn't be where you are as well. I don't stop a job for days to order a blade either. I have several on hand in various configurations. It's called being prepared. Never mind - that saw is too complicated for you...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Apparently reading comprehension is not a strong suit. 7 1/4 blades work just fine. There are several finish level blades in that size that you can buy at any home center. At least here there are. I don't see why they wouldn't be where you are as well. I don't stop a job for days to order a blade either. I have several on hand in various configurations. It's called being prepared. Never mind - that saw is too complicated for you...
7-1/4 blades are thin kerf for circular saws.
I like a full kerf 7-1/2 FINISH blade.
Do you not understand that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts