Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my tool addict searches, I came across this saw. It looks like the cat's meow for roof work, rafter tail trimming, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1671K-3...f=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1245615956&sr=8-24

I see that it only comes with one battery :censored:, so I would probably spring for at least one more. I want to know if I am going to jump for joy or curse this thing as soon as I get it out of the box. If you have one, how many cross cuts of 2x4 can you get on a charge?

·
Pro
506 Posts
In my tool addict searches, I came across this saw. It looks like the cat's meow for roof work, rafter tail trimming, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1671K-3...f=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1245615956&sr=8-24

I see that it only comes with one battery :censored:, so I would probably spring for at least one more. I want to know if I am going to jump for joy or curse this thing as soon as I get it out of the box. If you have one, how many cross cuts of 2x4 can you get on a charge?
I for one wouldn't spend four bills on this. I could get 3 corded makitas for the price. I doubt it would live thru an 8' fall either. Or a soaking. or an lvl that binds the blade. Come to think of it I never owned a bosch circular saw, and never felt the lack for one. (i do own bosch miter and table saws, routers, angle finders etc.)

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,693 Posts
If you have one, how many cross cuts of 2x4 can you get on a charge?
Well, it does say something to the effect of twice as many as any other battery saw. But man, I could run a lot of extension cords for that price!

Just curious, is there any reason other than the noble affliction of tool addiction to justify that expense for you?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it does say something to the effect of twice as many as any other battery saw. But man, I could run a lot of extension cords for that price!

Just curious, is there any reason other than the noble affliction of tool addiction to justify that expense for you?

Nope. There is really no way to justify a $400 cordless saw, but tools are a hobby for me. BTW, I didn't know that Hilti made one :w00t:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
For that price, it should at least be a 71/4". You will get more rips out of a battery if you use a shim in your cut to prevent the wood from binding your blade.
Steve

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Cordless circ saws are great to have around for occasional light work. "roof and 2x material sounds to heavy for what cordless can do. Additionally the secret to long battery life for a cordless circ saw is (SHARP BLADES). as soon as the blade dulls, the additional strain destroys the battery life. G

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts

This gets you that saw and two batts. plus the recip., drill, and light... for less than just the saw with extra battery:

http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned_tools/combo_kits/36_volt_combo_kits/cpk42-36-rt.html

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Never tried the bosch but I did test out the Hilti 36V. Its a smooth cutting saw, about 10x more power then my little cordless dewalt, and it felt almost twice as powerful as my 24V hilti I have now.

Could I justify spending that much money on a that saw? No, but I'm not in a trade that would require it; if I was I'd probably have 2 .:w00t:

hilti tools are garbage (except for the powder actuated nailers which have no rival)
You wouldn't consider Ramset a rival? What makes them garbage exactly?

·
Pro
506 Posts
Never tried the bosch but I did test out the Hilti 36V. Its a smooth cutting saw, about 10x more power then my little cordless dewalt, and it felt almost twice as powerful as my 24V hilti I have now.

Could I justify spending that much money on a that saw? No, but I'm not in a trade that would require it; if I was I'd probably have 2 .:w00t:

You wouldn't consider Ramset a rival? What makes them garbage exactly?
ramset's to hilti is what ridgid is to makita. the other hilti tools I find uncomfortable to handle and aweful looking. can't say much about longevity since I don't buy them.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
Bosch 36V is garbage. Hilti 36V is great. Bosch binds on plywood cuts. 36v power in the bosch is nothing what it should be

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Xanadoo,

Thank you for your first hand experience. What types of projects have you used the Hilti on? Is there a spot on the tool to adapt a rafter hook? An aside, what kind of dumb [email protected]# tool designer doesn't include a rafter hook on a saw like the hilti. After looking at that review I am looking towards the Hilti

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I have both saws. Bought the Bosch first and started getting tired of it binding. Went to the HIlti. They both will cut 2x12's no problem, but it is the plywood that eats the bosch up. You cant cut into anything, adjust and fire up the bosch. It doesn't start hot. It is like it takes a min to warm up. Therefore it binds alot. same with the plywood. You are cutting, one end bends and forget it bind up, chewed wood.
Hilti saw can cut anything, battery is better, lighter and where it fits on the saw is better. Also if you are looking at using it for roofs they 7 1/4 size will allow you to yse demo blades to cut nails, etc. Go with the Hilti. The hilti 36v lithiums are far superior to the boasch and dewalt. As far as a rafter hook, that is neat about the bosch, but not the deciding factor.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
OHHHHH and if you contact your hilti dealer..check if he has a demo saw. You will get full warrenty new batteries etc for great deal. Big savings.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
OHHHHH and if you contact your hilti dealer..check if he has a demo saw. You will get full warrenty new batteries etc for great deal. Big savings. Today 10:42 PM
Thats what I do, they have 2 prices something like 20% off for lightly used and 35% off for heavy use. I've got pieces still in box practically mint for 35% off...you just have to smile and ask nicely.

They claim they are the only brand to have instant re-setting overload protection in the lith-ion batteries. Most have non and just smoke and burn, dewalt you have to put back in the charger for 10 seconds or something like that.

Here's a rather indepth yet superficial review of cordless saws: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1492&articleID=571677

can't say much about longevity since I don't buy them.
Don't knock em' till ya try em. I agree about uncomfertable all the handgrips are inteded for gorillas not little girls like me.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts