Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just downloaded this software http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm and found it quite amusing. The free version eliminates the calc. functions and a number of other features.
It took me about 20 min. to get it figured out, it's really quite logical in layout and there is a tutorial if you ask for it.
I built a small house with a brick roof and all of the walls a different color. The program is 3D and allows walkarounds and helios, these are kind of touchy. I spent some time crashing through studs and walls. You can also get some specials effects in both modes, very funny, I was looking for the Wicked Witch in one walkaround. Wish I still did drugs, this would be a riot on some Orange Sunshine, Strawberry Barrels, Microdot, Blotter.....

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
lol

I saw the commercial for that software. When the so called building contractor came on the screen, talking about how much his architects love it when customers come to them with something produced on this software. I laughed and laughed. What kind of architect would want some home owner doing there work for them?

I guess it does help the arcitect get a better idea of what the customer wants, but I wouldn't want a customer advising me how to hold a brush while I was 20' in the air painting because of something they saw on "This Old House."

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I have to chime in and add my agreement on how useless their software package is. I got the deck & landscape version for "free" awhile ago. It isn't even worth it for "free". The only useful thing about it is that it will calculate deck square footage (good for irregular shaped decks).

It does make "pretty" 3D pictures though...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt whether most people are qualified to design a home. There's a lot more to it than just flinging up some walls and adding windows and doors.
I remember one of my brothers (an architect) telling me about a DIY designer. The guy had placed a bath so that, if you left the door open, you could sit on the pot and wave to folks walking down the sidewalk.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have that program to. I like the name Punch because that is about what I would like to do to the creators of it. It is like 1000% hype and 2% delivery of promises. The thing is extremely quirky and buggy. I spent an afternoon on their forums website a while ago reading all the work around everybody does to get anything useable out of it.
Somebody will post a question on how to do something extremely logical that the program should be able to do and the answer will be about a 500 step workaround solution. They always show all these 10,000 sq ft homes designed with it, but all I can say is they must have a staff of about 100 people and spend at least 10,000 man hours getting something like that out of it! I was considering the big brother to it, I think it is called Chief Architect or something like that, but that Punch program is so horrible it turns me off from anything even remotely like it.

About the only thing I do with it is use the design mode to lay out rough sketches of stuff. The rest is about as useful as a bad Atari video game from the 80's.

Don't even get me started how useless the deck building program is bundled with it.

They promise you the power of like 895 programs all in one, I would be happy if they just promised you 1 that did anything useful.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Mike Finley said:
About the only thing I do with it is use the design mode to lay out rough sketches of stuff. The rest is about as useful as a bad Atari video game from the 80's.

I would much rather play an atari game ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting software

Has anybody used any software that was not your usual (usual=spreadsheet, word processing) that they find interesting or helpful?
I use a product called listgrabber that pulls names and addresses from my computer (Web sites or excel spreadsheets) and inserts them into my contact manager. Great for Mailing lists.
Any others?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts