Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of getting a roof done. Coming back the next day or so to meet the electric guy so he can cut the power so I can install the boot cover. How do you guys approach this? Anybody ever use those split boots and if so how do they hold up?

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
I have never had them cut the power, just used those fully plastic boots that have a plastic base as well, then cut it straight up from the bottom, then us this plastic welder cement that melts it back together, it takes like 45 seconds. I dont really like the plastic boots but havent had a problem yet.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Where do you get the split ones at? With lead do you just cut it and solder it back? Ive never worked with lead before but would like to try it out
Check ABC for the split ones.
Lead, you can bend and seam lots of ways.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I get the rubber with lead base ( for pro or R panel) and spit them myself at a 45 on low side then overlap and seal with butyl ( I seal all jacks with it) nothing against sparkys but id rather not have to wait on em nor pay them. I respect but am not skeered of power lines

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I have done a number of things.

Dope? Naaa that cracks and leaks but I have done it in repair situations, reluctantly.

Wrap the conduit with ice shield, buy a lead plumbling pipe flashing 1" larger in diamater than the electric pipe, split it, fit the lead around the conduit, caulk between the conduit and lead where the seam will be in the lead. Wrap and secure with hose clamps and if you're really really really good at soldering you can solder the solft lead closed.

Also try... http://portalsplus.com/retrofit_flash2_110.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use two boots. Cut the first one at the top, put it around the pipe then take a second one and cut it at the bottom and put it over the first boot. It only makes sense. Use a little geoseal and you will never have a leak nor have to wait for a electric company.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I use two boots. Cut the first one at the top, put it around the pipe then take a second one and cut it at the bottom and put it over the first boot. It only makes sense. Use a little geoseal and you will never have a leak nor have to wait for a electric company.
:thumbsup:
may have to try that one:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts