Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are some of the more useful ones you have read? I will list off some of mine and tell you what I think:

Plan for Profitability, How to Write a Strategic Business Plan
Lee E. Hargrave
This was the best one, nothing to do with construction, it's about business planning in general, but you can apply it to any business. He has a lot of practical information all put together. I even sent the author my own business plan and he wrote back to me with his comments/suggestions.

The E Myth Revisited
Michael E Gerber
I read this before the contractor edition came out. I remember taking a business class and our instructor recommended reading it. It's good but it's more of a call to arms book, not quite as useful as the Lee Hargrave one.

Running a Successful Construction Company
David Gerstel
Not bad, he has some good insights on how he runs his company. The one I read is kind of dated, but he has a new version out. In his old one he explains how to run it with no computers or cell phones.

Finish Carpenters Manual
Jim Tolpin
This one I just finished, most the stuff in it I already knew. But he lays it out well and provides some information on bidding and running your own finish company.

Ones I was thinking of getting are:

The E Myth Contractor
Michael E Gerber
Although I read it's not as good as his first one, The E Myth Revisited.

Estimating & Bidding for Builders & Remodelers
Richard J. Langedyk
I need a good remodel estimating book, just found this browsing through Amazon.

For Pros by Pros Remodel Plumbing
Rex Cauldwell
Looks useful for a remodeler or handyman, just focuses on repairs and smaller jobs.

Selling 101
Zig Ziglar
Looks good, Selling is something I'm doing yet know nothing about.

The Oz Principle
Roger Connors, Tom Smith, Craig Hickman
Combines personal development and business development.

Thank God It's Monday
Roxanne Emmerich
Mixed reviews, some claim it's too generic, an easy read though, uplifting.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
To be honest, I never even saw your post this morning.

But I will give my .02 now.

Anything by Jim Rohn or Brian Tracy.

Think and Grow Rich
Richest Man in Babylon
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I feel personal development must come before business development. If you don't have your head screwed on straight, no amount of business development is going to work.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Framerman + Kent - Framerman = Kent

Kent = (thought about it, and slept on it for 1 day) + Framerman = v(variable).

Kent + (thoughts)+ Framerman - Kent = Framerman!

good answer!

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Best Books

I am honored to post into such esteemed company....

These are some of the best books I've read that relate to selling and management as well as getting your own head on straight.

First Things First- Covey
Learn how to prioritize all the interruptions in your life. What to ignore and what to pursue. Begin, with the end in mind.

Psycho Cybernetics
-Maxwell Maltz
This is an old book written by a plastic surgeon who was perplexed by beautiful people who wanted plastic surgery so he became a psychologist to find out what makes people tick on the inside. Well worth the read just to discover the four laws of Cybernetics.

What To Say When You Talk To Yourself- Helmstetter
Wow, what a book. I read this 15 years ago and followed the directions on how to get what you want out of life. Almost everything became a reality. If you can only read one book, this is the one.

The Seven Spiritual Laws Of Success- Chopra
Very small, short book. Helps us deal with success. It isn't as easy as it seems.

How To Master The Art Of Selling-Hopkins
Tons of helpful sales tools, easy to understand and very powerful.

Secrets Of Question Based Selling-Freese
One of the keys to modern selling to get away from pressure selling.

Let's Not Play, Let's Get Real-Khalsa
On CT, we see posts about high pressure sales, bidding, one call closing, etc. This is the beginning of modern selling where we recognize people are not in the dark anymore, but well educated and informed. Today's prospect are wise to the old, out-dated sales techniques. This book addresses the new age of selling head-on.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To be honest, I never even saw your post this morning.

But I will give my .02 now.

Anything by Jim Rohn or Brian Tracy.

Think and Grow Rich
Richest Man in Babylon
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I feel personal development must come before business development. If you don't have your head screwed on straight, no amount of business development is going to work.
Isn't Rich Dad Poor Dad the one that teaches how to flip houses? Then the people that tried it went broke? I agree personal development is important. A good one is "In Search of the Miraculous" by P.D Ouspensky. It's basically a philosophy book, but it teaches the difference between thinking and doing. For a long time I thought about going into business for myself but never did anything. Someone gave me the book "You Can Make it Happen, A Nine-Step Plan for Success" by Stedman Graham, but I haven't read it.

That selling one Bill, does look more interesting than the one I was looking at.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Isn't Rich Dad Poor Dad the one that teaches how to flip houses? Then the people that tried it went broke?
Kiyosaki has some criticism, but everyone does. Every person takes something different from reading a book. But it wasn't about flipping houses. People go broke because they don't look before they leap. No one to blame except themselves.

·
Gumby
112 Posts
Rich Dad Poor Dad

I am looking forward to some good books. However Robert Kyosaki is a shameless self promoter. He does not do as he says. He sells books and does seminars. That is how he made all his money.
I worked for a customer who followed the book and is now bankrupt. They may not have needed any help but... The guy was a pilot also.

"cfil1.com"

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am looking forward to some good books. However Robert Kyosaki is a shameless self promoter. He does not do as he says. He sells books and does seminars. That is how he made all his money.
I worked for a customer who followed the book and is now bankrupt. They may not have needed any help but... The guy was a pilot also.
"cfil1.com"
That's the kind of stuff I heard about it. But it's probably a good book if taken with a grain of salt.

·
Painter
969 Posts
Actually Robert Kiyosaki does follow his own advice. Yes, he's made money from his books and seminars, but he's into more than he advertises. The same thing with Fran Tarkenton. I've followed his advice and do pretty well with it. I guess it's all in the attitude you have. I've met Mr. Kiyosaki numerous times, he's a pretty intelligent guy.

My top list is

The Millionaire next door
How to win friends and influence people
The power of your subconscious mind
Rich dad poor dad
Think and grow rich
7 habits of highly effective people
Eat that frog

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts

"cfil1.com"
If you have money and go to a stock broker, he will advise you. If he tells you that a certain stock is a good bet, you buy, and it tanks, the only person to make the choice to buy is you. Your customer is bankrupt because of poor choices. Getting rich doesn't happen because you read a book.

Being a pilot has what to do with the conversation?

I find the simplicity in your statement about how Kiyosaki made his money interesting.

·
Gumby
112 Posts
Robert Kyosaki was a pilot, and my customer was a pilot. He followed or believed Robert because of the pilot thing. Framerman you are right about we all must make our own choices but there must be truth as a foundation from which to build. I believe Robert fakes his claims. That is my Buyer Beware. Nough said, looking forward to some good book recomendations.

·
Gumby
112 Posts
After doing some research I am going to read:

Selling 101. Most of my work is sold for me but I do have to close a few jobs and my closure rate is probably 50%. If its the lady of the house then 90%. No I am not good looking.

7 Habits. Looks to be a good read

Eat that frog. Probably shake me up a bit.

Running a successful construction company. At $125 I was going to need serious convincing but I can get a used one for $25 so why not. If it helps on one job it will pay for itself.

I guess though, whoever said contractors don't read, may have had some good insight.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I typically do not read self help books, or business books, but I have a pretty substantial technical library, with everything from concrete engineering to cabinetry.

My usual reading list comprises of political fare, and recreational stuff, like John Grisham.

The internet has made a tremendous difference in how we obtain information, and while self help guides may assist some...I think a lot of business sense is either there, or it isn't. To be a contractor, you are probably wired to make it anyway.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Every business is different and if you have to read a book to do business, I would be a tad bit concerned about your business.

The funny thing is, I go to a lot of auctions and that is one thing I see a lot of. Tons and tons of how to run a business books.:rolleyes:

The businesses where the owner is just retiring and auctioning off all the assests, no books.

The businesses that go bankrupt and the bank seizes their stuff and liquidates it, tons and tons of business books.:clap:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts