Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What books have you read that had the biggest impact on your business and ideas?

I'll start:

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
by Michael E. Gerber

Amazon Link

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Anyone who wants to go anywhere in life must read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon hill. It has literally changed my life!

I listen to alot of audio motivational cd's... so many I couldn't name them all but most are geared for sales motivation and techniques. I also have some Tony Robbins motivational CD's. I figure I drive all day I may as well brain wash myself with positive energy.

I recommend any books by Brian Tracy for sales techniques.

This was an excellent post idea BTW.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't say it changed my life or anything but heres another good one for management ideas.

The One Minute Manager
by Spencer Johnson

Amazon Link

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know anything about this book?

Rich Dad, Poor Dad
by Robert T./Lechter Kiyosaki

Amazon Link

I've heard both good and bad things about it. I was thinking of ordering it but I wasn't sure what to think.

-Nathan

·
Registered
178 Posts
Stephen Covey's stuff to help get the head screwed on straight. "The 7 habits of highly effective people", "First Things First".

"Bottom-up Marketing" by Al Ries, Jack Trout. Useful when thinking about how to approach a marketing campaign.

"Selling the way your customer buys", by Marvin Sadovsky, Jon Caswell. For helping understand that here are many different ways to get to "yes".

There's another book that is very powerful in how it makes you look at the working world, but I don't have it on my shelf as it has been borrowed by an associate. I think it's called "Loyalty", and that's where I found out that not every potential customer SHOULD be your customer. I'll post the full reference once I get it back in my hands.

And for the times when our shadow gets a little pointy, "DILBERT".

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nwingate said:
Does anyone know anything about this book?

Rich Dad, Poor Dad
by Robert T./Lechter Kiyosaki

Amazon Link

I've heard both good and bad things about it. I was thinking of ordering it but I wasn't sure what to think.

-Nathan
Just thought I would mention that I'm reading this book right now and its excellent!

- Nathan

·
Registered
6 Posts
nwingate said:
Just thought I would mention that I'm reading this book right now and its excellent!

- Nathan
Nathan- this is my first post so bear w/ me on format here. Rich Dad Poor Dad is the most influential book I've read since college. It allowed me to re-think what I had beed conditioned to think since I was a kid- get education, get job, work hard, retire and die. This book doesn't tell you how to run a business and become a successful investor but it does open your eyes to a world of possibility and freedom. I went out on my own partly because of this book and its common sense information. If you like that book, read the next, Cashflow Quadrant and the other Rich Dad's Advisors books. Read, The Millionaire Next Door, to give you an eye opener as well. Rock on!

-Ratrub

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Talk about millionaire next door. The guy named bill who has an office next to us comes to work in jeans and a stained sweatshirt just about every day. He's a great guy but looks homeless and has no shame. He will talk about anything like he was a construction worker!

He sells multi million dollar machinery for many industries. He has a million dollar house paid off and is planning on buying another million dollar house just down the street from his, and donating it to his parents so they can live near bye.

This guy is no frills no thrills but very successful.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Many of those type of people have been in business for so long that they can't change what got them there. See it quite a bit in Montana. Some old fella dresses in scrubs because that's the way he's always been. But come to find out that they are rich .. and over several discussions you find out he is an upstanding guy that doesn't pull any punches. And when he first started a handshake was good enough to seal a deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts