Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im just wondering what other guys do for paperwork. In house? Outsourced? Self?
A friend uses buildertrak outsourced? Anyone else have experience outsourcing? he loves it and I can't keep track of all my stuff on the job all the time

·
Registered
19 Posts
We recently got busy enough to warrant hiring a General Manager. He handles all A/P, cost tracking and payroll. I handle all A/R, estimating and project management. He is part time so the OH isn't too bad. I am loving it.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Serious problem is...

Outsource. A good boss knows how to delegate.

Payroll firm
Business attorney
Accountant
Insurance broker

I just want to work dammit!
The serious problem is you are trusting that the people you hire know what they are doing. Do the know what they are doing at all. Do they do a good job. Are they cheating you.

I trust my attorney 100% when I need advice and help. I trust my CPA 100% for doing the final paperwork that is reported for taxes, but I would never trust my CPA do to my record keeping because there is nothing better than doing it yourself so you can keep organized and have a hands-on understanding of what is going on in your business.

As for having an insurance agent? Never! I have no one specific agent and never trust an insurance agent. You have to shop each policy every time it is up for renewal and never have one agent handle all of your business, property, worker's comp etc. For the past 10 years, every time I shop for insurance I get a rate lower than the previous year rather than an increase every year. I have no problem with telling my long-time agent a competitor beat his estimate.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
You have to vet your office guys, just like a customer would do us.

Trust is something you have to have. Whether its your wife, or your $$ or your suppliers.

I constantly preach price & quality. Sometimes you just have to spend money. As the old saying goes: how valuable is your time?

Sure, having 1 insurance agent can be a little more expensive. But if an issue arises, I make 1 phone call. I dont have my money going 20 directions for each policy. I don't have to sort out company a for biz liability, company b for auto, company c for workets comp, etc.

I'm a big believer in the KISS rule. And chasing down 50 people just aint worth it.

I dont run a chicken farm, even though all I hear is "cheap, cheap, cheap" forget that. How about an easy button instead?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
For my small company I do my own record keeping, tracking expenses etc. However I recently took on an employee and I have my accountant do the bi-weekly payroll, withholdings, quarterly tax payments etc etc.

It may seem a bit expensive for only one employee but I know that employee will be paid on time and it is done correctly. My employee doesn't have to hear me say that I haven't got his pay check ready for one reason or another.

The cost is part of my overhead.
Delegate delegate.

I am learning to sub out work that I know others are better / quicker than me, I now sub out all drywall work. So I look at payroll the same way, I am hiring someone to do what I am not good at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another thing I've heard of guys doing is partnering with a few smaller guys like themselves and having one person work for 4 companies full time. Helps offset the cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts