Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Bonded Neutral Generator.....

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Electronathon88 
#1 ·
I don't like these, but sometimes a customer will pick a cheap genny, that doesn't have a floating neutral. :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that if the neutral is bonded at the generator, the transfer equipment will have to be installed as a Separately Derived System.

Because if not, then you will have 2 points where the neutral is bonded, once in the Main, and once in the generator, which, in my opinion, is a no-no. :no:

Which means you can't use an interlock device for Bonded Neutral generators, you need to use a 3-pole double-throw transfer switch to break the neutral.

What say you???

#2 ·
You are absolutely correct about the 3 pole transfer switch for bonded generators. They make bonded neutral portable generators, not necessarily as "cheap gennys", but for standalone use on a construction site or camp site, etc. Many of them have instructions in the manual, or a manufacturer-approved method of disconnecting the neutral bond to float the neutral instead. I just did one that took less than 5 min to float the neutral. Verify by taking continuity reading from ground to neutral in one of the receptacles with a multimeter while generator is off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.