Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually just do service type work but I may have a customer who needs to replace a Dunkirk hw boiler. Typical setup, not zoned, nothing unusual, 112,500 btuh input, gas boiler. I don't have any good estimating books for installs, I'm figuring (roughly) 10 hours labor to remove old, haul away and install new, fill, test operation, etc, etc. Sound too low or too high? Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
ATS said:
I usually just do service type work but I may have a customer who needs to replace a Dunkirk hw boiler. Typical setup, not zoned, nothing unusual, 112,500 btuh input, gas boiler. I don't have any good estimating books for installs, I'm figuring (roughly) 10 hours labor to remove old, haul away and install new, fill, test operation, etc, etc. Sound too low or too high? Thanks.
It is tough to tell you how long it will take you, everybody works at a different speed. A simple replacement like that would usually take us(2 men)half a day(charge for full ), we are usually waiting for the electrician and junk guy to show up.So, if you think it is going to take you more than a day(8hrs)then add labor for a second man(which you should anyway).I usually mark-up boiler jobs 30% on stock. It is a nice payday! There especially nice in the off season where your'e not under the gun to get it done before the house freezes!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'm pretty close on the 10 hours total, 5 for each man with me being the electrician and junk guy. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
ATS said:
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'm pretty close on the 10 hours total, 5 for each man with me being the electrician and junk guy. :)

Just make sure you get paid for wearing the different hats! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes every one works at a defferant pace, we do these small replacements in a day or most of the time less.

Prep is a must and be sure you have everything there, you just got to love those old Dunkirks. I have had a few tankless replacements on them, that can be fun trying to pull that frigging 3 bolt plate off the back side of the block.

Good Luck
BJD

·
Registered
20 Posts
A job like that would take us two guys one day from start to finish. I had one and only one job on an 100 year old gravity boiler took 4 guys 12 hrs start to finish. Thats with us halling the junk and doing our own electrical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts