Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas about keeping the windshield on my machine clear of fog? Its a 2001 873 enclosed cab, not an aftermarket enclosure, all glass. Its kind of annoying. Thanks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
A heater????? It shouldn't be fogging if you have a heater, but you could also try cracking open a side window in order to get fresh air circulating. If not, I have heard that Pledge furniture wax works. Other than that, and nice clean cloth and lots of intermittent wiping.:thumbsup:

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that. I am hoping to not have to put up a paper towel dispenser in the thing. And yeah its got a factory heater in it. the vents are kind of busted up, but oh well

·
Registered
33 Posts
scrapecc: Is the heater blowing warm air? If it is blowing warm air good the next thing I would say to look for or smell when in the cab that smells like antifreeze if so you will need a heater core. If blowing warm air and no antifreeze smell you might need to get your vent and def. replaced. Also you said there are broken vents you may want to do the mouse nest check going into the fall t.p. is a good duct plugger. One other thing is are your boots or pants cuffs wet or full of snow? Case 580 Super M fogs up bad with wet boots and pants or coveralls to much humidity!

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scrapecc: Is the heater blowing warm air? If it is blowing warm air good the next thing I would say to look for or smell when in the cab that smells like antifreeze if so you will need a heater core. If blowing warm air and no antifreeze smell you might need to get your vent and def. replaced. Also you said there are broken vents you may want to do the mouse nest check going into the fall t.p. is a good duct plugger. One other thing is are your boots or pants cuffs wet or full of snow? Case 580 Super M fogs up bad with wet boots and pants or coveralls to much humidity!
Nice and warm air, no antifreeze smell, I have had a heater core go bad on me before. I was just curious if this was normal or if i had a problem. the guy I bought the machine from had bent the frame and popped the window out. I straightened it and put the window back in it, but the machine was run for a few years without it. I am gonna pull out the vents and clean the crap out of them. We'll see how that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might have to buy the louvers or the vent directers so the warm to hot air can be aimed at the problem window. Like you said some vents are beat up to get propor air direction you might need new parts hope this helps.:thumbup:

·
Designer/Contractor
5,450 Posts
To keep it from fogging until you get it fixed there is some buttled stuff called 'de-fog' or something like that available in drugstores. I used it years ago on a windshield in a car with heating issues and it kind of worked...............

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I'd keep a window cracked too. All the humidity has got to go somewhere. Does your machine has AC too? If so, run it. It will dry out the air.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
what about the spray stuff that's used for hockey visors, same concept is it not

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There is a de-fogger for diver's masks and Rain-X also makes a de-fogging product that comes in towelette packages, available @ auto supply store.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'd keep a window cracked too. All the humidity has got to go somewhere. Does your machine has AC too? If so, run it. It will dry out the air.

Same here. I plow snow quite a bit with mine & crack the windows & keep the blower on full blast the entire time, turning down the temp as needed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our equipment manager found a solution for the fogging windshield. He dropped a piece of concrete while loading a truck. Since then the windshield has been removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.