Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small project on a big 65' yacht, he's looking to build a bolt down bar on the third deck. Wine cooler, and drop in sink, my question is what would be the best solution to fabricating this.y initial though was marine grab plywood with epoxy or resin over it. It's all white.

Any help would be appreciated were looking to stay away from 100% fiberglass, it's going to have granite on top.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
It doesn't have to be marine grade unless this is above decks. Epoxy would be an unusual choice, there are plenty of urethane paints that are waterproof and easier to work with.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
B/C ply would be good enough.. I'd wrap it with at least one layer of cloth, use polyester, then finish with gelcoat..

Here's a swim platform I did for my boat, It gets direct water contact, and is fine so far at 5yrs...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It doesn't have to be marine grade unless this is above decks. Epoxy would be an unusual choice, there are plenty of urethane paints that are waterproof and easier to work with.
Agree. Do some research on the two-part urethanes. They require a professional approach, but they're way less hassle than gel coat. Many top-dollar topside jobs as well as complete bottom jobs are urethane rather than gel-coat these days. They are less brittle and less susceptible to chalking than epoxies.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
Agree. Do some research on the two-part urethanes. They require a professional approach, but they're way less hassle than gel coat. Many top-dollar topside jobs as well as complete bottom jobs are urethane rather than gel-coat these days. They are less brittle and less susceptible to chalking than epoxies.
We've looked at them, I'm no shipwright but the traditionalist I know are still using mat and glass. Not saying it wouldn't work, it probably would really well, but just hard to move away from what you know.

You know?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
Very true... Traditionalist was a bad choice of words, typical boat aftermarket manufacturer?
Just giving you a hard time - I know what you mean. The fiberglass guy I knew in Texas died a few years ago. His big deal about fiberglass is if he made one boat or one whatever (it didn't have to be made out of fiberglass, just be strong enough and have a really good surface finish), he'd take a mold off of it and be able to turn out more relatively quickly. A lot of times he'd just take a mold off of something that someone else had made.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
I was a working with a shipwright building this when I lived in the UK. Was interesting and learnt a lot but man fiberglass is awful to work with day in day out. This was the first boat out this mold we made.

View attachment 108414
It does suck. Shipwrights must have a screw loose, but the good ones who are passionate are the most amazing carpenters I've ever met. I a guy out in San Diego who restores centuries old boats and bends 6x and 8x Ipe :eek:

Have you ever done anything with carbon fiber? Ten times the nastiness. Awful to work with.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Deckhead said:
It does suck. Shipwrights must have a screw loose, but the good ones who are passionate are the most amazing carpenters I've ever met. I a guy out in San Diego who restores centuries old boats and bends 6x and 8x Ipe :eek: Have you ever done anything with carbon fiber? Ten times the nastiness. Awful to work with.
Used to live on a costal island so lot of unreal boat builders. Most of them in their. 50's 60's so def a dying trade but seen some unreal stuff made by them.

Never worked with CF but had a mate who built race car parts and he said it was nasty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Starboard is a great product and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the information, pics to come.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts