Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I install a deck with this tool I wonder how I ever got by without it. Forcing a bent piece Ipe into place is no easy task without this tool. This one is the Board Bender by Craftsman.
IMG_0958.jpg

I used to have one that worked better than this one but it has gone missing. I can not remember the brand or name of the other one so I don't know how to replace it. It does not seam like anything local yards cary. Do you guys have one that works well for you? Who sells them?

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Crovello,
Got any photos of your finished deck? This one looks interesting.
Steve

Every time I install a deck with this tool I wonder how I ever got by without it. Forcing a bent piece Ipe into place is no easy task without this tool. This one is the Board Bender by Craftsman.
View attachment 24860

I used to have one that worked better than this one but it has gone missing. I can not remember the brand or name of the other one so I don't know how to replace it. It does not seam like anything local yards cary. Do you guys have one that works well for you? Who sells them?

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Crovello,
Steve
ditto

Just out of curiosity, it looks like the deck is framed out of untreated lumber?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crovello,
Steve
I just finished installing the decking this week. I have a long way to go before this deck is completed on this project. The ballustrade on this deck is actually a 30" shingled wall with 2" and 5" alternating courses, a 3" kick out at the bottom and build outs at every post that have to be weaved around.
IMG_1035.jpg

A good portion of the deck will be screened in and have a wood burning fireplace in it. The fireplace has a ton of detail. The mason will be scratching his head on this one. Can't wait to see it completed.
IMG_1026.jpg

There is also some curved sections to match the house above.
IMG_1040.jpg

I will post more pictures when I am further along.

Dave

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That is some great looking decking. I was reading an Ipe fact sheet:
http://www.woodsthebest.com/ipe_decking/ipe-wood.htm
In it they mention how difficult it is to bend. How did you curve the steps?
They also talk about when Ipe warps it can pull the screws right out the treated stringers. Wow! It gives alot of warnings about the yellow dust on it. What has been your experience with Ipe?
Steve

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
PT may have come from indoor lumber yard where it always has a much lighter shade.
Likely the newer Micronized Copper.
It's much lighter color, sometimes I
have to keep looking at the end tags
to make sure it's the right stuff.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is some great looking decking. I was reading an Ipe fact sheet:
http://www.woodsthebest.com/ipe_decking/ipe-wood.htm
In it they mention how difficult it is to bend. How did you curve the steps?
They also talk about when Ipe warps it can pull the screws right out the treated stringers. Wow! It gives alot of warnings about the yellow dust on it. What has been your experience with Ipe?
Steve
It has become the most common decking for my projects in the last few years. It makes a nice looking deck whether you let it go grey natually or give it a coat of Penefin. It is very rot resistant and wears like iron. Those are the good attributes.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The steps are composite, right?
Steve

It has become the most common decking for my projects in the last few years. It makes a nice looking deck whether you let it go grey natually or give it a coat of Penefin. It is very rot resistant and wears like iron. Those are the good attributes.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Looks like he cut ¾" rips and
laminated them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looks like he cut ¾" rips and
laminated them.
I first tried bending Ipe. I steamed it for two hours and it did nothing to make it pliable. I then laminated Ipe cutting it into narrow strips so it would bend but the glue joints did not hold well and spring back was very bad. From what I have read Ipe just does not glue well. So as a last resort I laminated the steps out of mahogany. The strips are just shy of 3/4" each and it is glued with West System epoxy.
IMG_1011.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg

Some of the bad things about Ipe.
It weighs I feakin ton

It is brutal on tools. The yellow dust does get all over you. I don't know how harmful it is to people but it does seam to clog up my tools. I am forever blowing the dust out of my plate joiners so it will slide in and out.

It will not hold well with glue

It is hard as a rock, forget nailing or screwing without drilling. If you are near a board end and you drill a pilot hole that is much smaller than your nail or screw, expect it to split.

I normally don't have to predrill when using Ebtys but with Ipe you do. (if you want any holding power)

It is not available in all sizes. (at least in my area)
1" x 4" or 6"
5/6"x4", 6" and if your lucky you may find 8" ( I have never used 8" but man that must be heavy)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a bowrench, it works pretty well and you can use it to push/pull.
Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Cepco-Tool-BW...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1257387956&sr=8-1

You might also consider the tiger jaw, it is just being manufactured, I am still waiting for my local yard to bring it in.

http://www.deckfastener.com/product_deck_jaws.asp
BTW I liked the first link, The one that went missing on me was a Bowrench (thanks for jogging my memory). I guess it was the older model.

The second link for the deck jaws does not look that usefull. I can't see that system working with anything other than composite decking and only on basic straight decks. If you had to fit boards together with miters(like you would have to do with a deck that jogs around an octagon or bump out) you would have a hard time with that system. Once you press it in place I don't think you could move it sideways.

Thanks for posting the links.

Dave

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm glad I asked. Fascinating work.
Steve

I first tried bending Ipe. I steamed it for two hours and it did nothing to make it pliable. I then laminated Ipe cutting it into narrow strips so it would bend but the glue joints did not hold well and spring back was very bad. From what I have read Ipe just does not glue well. So as a last resort I laminated the steps out of mahogany. The strips are just shy of 3/4" each and it is glued with West System epoxy.
View attachment 24912
View attachment 24913

Some of the bad things about Ipe.
It weighs I feakin ton

It is brutal on tools. The yellow dust does get all over you. I don't know how harmful it is to people but it does seam to clog up my tools. I am forever blowing the dust out of my plate joiners so it will slide in and out.

It will not hold well with glue

It is hard as a rock, forget nailing or screwing without drilling. If you are near a board end and you drill a pilot hole that is much smaller than your nail or screw, expect it to split.

I normally don't have to predrill when using Ebtys but with Ipe you do. (if you want any holding power)

It is not available in all sizes. (at least in my area)
1" x 4" or 6"
5/6"x4", 6" and if your lucky you may find 8" ( I have never used 8" but man that must be heavy)

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Hats off,

Stairs look beautiful.

I looked at IPE onece for my house...didn't get past the price.:shutup:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
You didn't mention the slivers....some of the nastiest I've ever had...

Also, we noticed ALOT of dimensional movement! This last year was our first. We tried a power nailer (split), then predrilled, and had some heaving problems...we pulled it up and spaced every 5th course with coil stock....now we have gaps....

I don't like it....I'm sure the function is great, but the workablity s!cks....JMO....

And IT IS HEAVY!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts