Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I plan to side part of a house with lp smartside 8" lap siding but will be doing board & batten on some gables & upper level. It seems as though many are using hardi/fiber cement for the board & batten but I don't hear about much with smartside. Any reason not to use prefinished (diamond kote smartside panels & trim.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm doing something similar with LP smartside. Found 4x9 7/16" panels for sheating, no grooves, adding 1x2 smartrim over studs. Smartside seems easier to install than FC, no nasty dust, or shear debris. Nails are a lot easier to manage, as far as blow out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If anyone still cares... LP Smart panel and Smartrim. The flashing lines at plywood intervals are annoying, the only alternative I came up with is to use 16“ x16' Smartsoffit split on studs. Then I would need base sheeting or cross bracing.

Building Property Barn Siding Sugar house

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
Yes we normally try to use a horizontal band to break it up and make it look like it's part of the design as opposed to having to for flashing.

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
Whats nice about using a 2x band board is after putting on the z-bar, add a 1/4" shim to stand your sheet off the band, makes a handy ledger for setting sheets, especially these 4x10 sheets. Plus add the thickness of the hardie and the 1x batten you are just bit shy of the full thickness of the band board.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
The problem becomes that you have to keep that sheet up off the z flashing otherwise no warranty.

That's when it starts to get a little interesting. Do you run the battens down to the z and hold the sheet up?

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
I leave the sheet above the z, thats what the shims do, usually a 4 foot rip of something 1/4" that provides full bearing of the Hardie. Smaller pieces promote blowout. I do hold the battens up as well. Provides a cleaner look once painted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts