Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use 'networking groups' for leads. A friend of mine is a broker, and belongs to one of these groups. He has been trying to get me to join for awhile now, and has fed me 2 real good jobs. They want $200 +/- annually and $40 +/- per month, (guess it pays for the breakfast) and meet once a week. The kicker is if you miss 3 meetings, they boot you out. what are everybody's thoughts on this.

Hey, what ever happened to glasshouse Bob? Jail maybe LOL :eek: or maybe one of his ex-wives had him whacked!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey, if he got 2 paying jobs that came out of it then what more do you need to know? Only thing is to try it and see what you think. For some of us we never know which track our gravy train is going to be on until it runs us over, for others they can spot the gravy train miles away by seeing the smoke. I don't think leads groups work for every trade but it looks like they might for yours. I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not exited with it. I also don't like the obligations. You must attend, you must bring referrals, and you must bring visitors. I like network to be relaxed and fun. Also those forced leads are usually poor quality.

Try to think of organization of your potential clients and those who have an access to your clients. May be your local builders association, remodelers organization, woman in construction, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Networking groups are definately alot of work. But you only get out of it, what you put into it. We've had great success with BNI. We see many, many referrals as a result of being members. My wife does most of the networking, but I am slowly working my way into it.
Join as many networking groups as you can handle. Don't overdue it. Look for the right fit. Visit a few. Look at their member lists, for your typical clietnts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I Am An Avid Networking. It Has Been Very Sucessful For Me. I Started By Being A Member Of Up To 9 Groups At One Time. Bni-esm-toastmasters-le-tip Ect...i Have Found That The Best Groups Are Your Local Chambers Of Commerce As Well As Lyon's Clubs. The Smaller Groups Such As Bni Require A Longer Investment Of Time, And You Must Rely On All Of The Members To Stay In The Group To Support Your Cause.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Does anybody use 'networking groups' for leads. A friend of mine is a broker, and belongs to one of these groups. He has been trying to get me to join for awhile now, and has fed me 2 real good jobs. They want $200 +/- annually and $40 +/- per month, (guess it pays for the breakfast) and meet once a week. The kicker is if you miss 3 meetings, they boot you out. what are everybody's thoughts on this.
I'm a member of a BNI group here in Indianapolis. I think it is a good networking group. Yes, you have to put some work into it but most of your referrals are pre-screened. I have been in mine about 3 months and have completed 8 jobs from referrals from my BNI group.

What I like about it is you end up having 80% of the people in your group be business consultants to you and you to them. It's a good opportunity to bounce ideas off of different people, have a more business like structure and have people market your business to pre-screened "leads".

Yes there is work, but most of that is listening and about 3-5 hours of paperwork over the 1st year. It helps you sharpen your focus on the target market(s) that you may be interested in.

I think BNI is very good. Try a couple of chapters in your local area. Another good thing is that only one person of each give trade or area (painter, lawyer, accountant, etc) can be in each group. It is not like going to a trade meeting with 20 painters there vying for the same jobs. Take a look, they have a web wite www.bni.com look at the chapters in your area that don't have a painter.

Pat

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I know plenty of guys that have joined the Masonic Lodge for the sole purpose of networking. Seems to work out for many. Seen quite a few new Freemasons go from driving rusty pickups to shiny nice rigs within a few years.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ol'#2 has been a member of BNI for years and has done quite well there. I believe that they are the ones that only allow one member per catagory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to be in one when I sold web pages many moons ago when web pages were first becoming a reality in business. The problem with the one I was in was 2 hours away and once a week was tough to make the commitment.

I would also suggest to hook up with guys that are in different trades in the industry, and form your own. One that is not so formal, maybe once every couple weeks. If I have a job and the customer needs driveway work, I ask the customer if they would like me to have my good friend to come over and give you an estimate, and of course give them a good recommendation. By the time I do this they already trust me and are pretty receptive to it. Then my buddy buys me lunch next time. I have received many leads this way. And It is nice to sit down with someone that knows what you are going through in the contracting world. But most importantly for me is it's informal and I like it that way. If you can put a whole group that pertains to all aspects of building a house from start to finish, you could form some nice partnerships as well. It's nice to work with guys you trust and like.

Flimmer

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
There are a couple of big business networking groups. BNI is one, LeTip is the other.

I've belonged to LeTip for over a year now and have since gotten my electrician and plumber to join. You do get quality leads from it and I would highly endorse LeTip.

I tried BNI a few years ago and thought it was a cult. Very cheesy compared to LeTip and the quality of members was low. LeTip has a regimented meeting like BNI, but it's much more laid back.

We have 35 members in our chapter and upon joining, you instantly expand your sphere of influence by 35 people. Your name gets out quicker and further. I've had to turn down some work at times because of it.

www.letip.org

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
md, BNI must not keep up the listing very well. She has been a member for over 5 yrs and is starting a new chapter. There are quite a few others missing from the list as well including a current customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts