Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first time I used BM Fresh start primer, had to prime for a dark blue color they wanted a bedroom painted. (4th room I am am doing for customer) the others came out fine, but I didn’t use Fresh start since they were small so they just got 3 coats of finish color instead of having to buy primer for them all since I had enough left over.. Anyway..

Got a call tonight from them saying the blue primer dried weird and had much more of a orange peel texture than all of the other rooms. Is this maybe just because it is a darker color and they didn’t notice it before or.. Anything else?

The walls got a coat of gardz and then skimcoated. Been using Wooster 50/50 1/2 nap for everything, and I didn't notice a difference. Although I was a little buzzed from priming a closet with BIN, so maybe I just wanted to get out of there and didn’t realize.

Any options? Plan to sand between coats but want to keep them happy.

Any help is once again greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
First, IMO, primer is more for bonding and adhesive purposes for the finish paint along with "hiding". 3 coats finish might "cover" well but if the first coat dosnt adhere its all coming off down the road.
I use freshstart regularly and I think you should drop down to 3/8 nap. Sounds like you put it on too thick. Freshstart is pretty tough and sanding is a bear. And...if your coverage wasnt uniform, it will dry weird, lighter and darker areas. Get some lights....or stay off the BIN!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went over there today because I was in the area to look. I didn't notice anything weird, I sanded a wall real light and let them take a look. Was about as smooth as it could possible get.

I think maybe one of them came home while the primer was drying and it just looked weird to them. That and the flat primer wasn't used before so maybe they were worried the finish coat would have that sheen? I dunno. Looked ok for primer to me.

Plan to stick with the 50/50 1/2".. I had to use a 3/8 to prime a closet because I didn't have a clean 50/50 1/2" handy.. Ugh, should have just cleaned the 50/50. I have no interest in using any 3/8" nap if I can avoid it, the 50/50 just holds so much paint and makes it so easy. Just hope it doesn’t show a texture more with this color and they don’t like it, will have a better idea after the first finish coat..

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
H/Os do sometimes freak out when things don't look/go the way they thought it would
Of course, their idea of what it should look like, or how it should be done is often just made up by them
They think they know how it will look/go, but they really have know idea
It'll happen again, don't worry :cheesygri
PS I'm glad the wall wasn't really messed up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts