Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are multiple different types of blueprints? I am trying to prepare a blueprint for a welding table.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It may just be me but your question is very vague. There are different types of prints depending on what your doing just the same has there are different formats for prints. In my line of work a blueprint can techniclly be anything from a PDF that was drawn up with dimensions on it to full on Arch-D As-builts. Please get more specific with your question and i'll try to help out more.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
540 Posts
Technically blue prints don't exist anymore. Except in very old shops. "Blueprints" were coined because the prints were literally blue. The color developed from the reproduction technique using light sensitive paper and ammonia. The process resulted in a negative of the original design drawing creating white lines and a blue background. Hence... wait for it... BLUE PRINTS! :clap:

Today you can just call it prints or drawings or design drawings.

And yes, I have run real blue prints in my life. That ammonia makes your nose feel great.. but there was something ethereal about the light that flowed out of the machine. Straight out of Roswell, New Mexico.

And genmech is right. You would get more feedback on your question by googleing welding table. Need more specific questions to answer your post.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
bwiab said:
Technically blue prints don't exist anymore. Except in very old shops. "Blueprints" were coined because the prints were literally blue. The color developed from the reproduction technique using light sensitive paper and ammonia. The process resulted in a negative of the original design drawing creating white lines and a blue background. Hence... wait for it... BLUE PRINTS! :clap: Today you can just call it prints or drawings or design drawings. And yes, I have run real blue prints in my life. That ammonia makes your nose feel great.. but there was something ethereal about the light that flowed out of the machine. Straight out of Roswell, New Mexico. And genmech is right. You would get more feedback on your question by googleing welding table. Need more specific questions to answer your post.
Actually there is a thing called an inventors blueprint. I think this is what he's referring to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Technically blue prints don't exist anymore. Except in very old shops. "Blueprints" were coined because the prints were literally blue. The color developed from the reproduction technique using light sensitive paper and ammonia. The process resulted in a negative of the original design drawing creating white lines and a blue background. Hence... wait for it... BLUE PRINTS! :clap:

Today you can just call it prints or drawings or design drawings.

And yes, I have run real blue prints in my life. That ammonia makes your nose feel great.. but there was something ethereal about the light that flowed out of the machine. Straight out of Roswell, New Mexico.

And genmech is right. You would get more feedback on your question by googleing welding table. Need more specific questions to answer your post.

I have had several companies propose subbmittals using a color scheme similar to real blueprints. Why bother with that much blue ink to make it look the same, I have no idea. i have some old actual blueprints framed in my office. I love the old look but using a modern day plotter is much more efficent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts