Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has done any work with bluestone. I have a potential customer who gave me a set of plans for a home with bluestone on it. The samples he showed me were small and irregular shaped. Maybe 10-12" in lenth and 4-6 wide. Also they were very thin. Probably half to 5/8". The plans show two 12' columns in front of house and 2 24' in back. They are half in the house and half outside. Seperated by a partition of glass. It's going to be a very modern home. Also two fireplaces. Anyway, I was wondering how you go vertical with something so thin. Do you lay it like cultured? I know bluestone is used alot on porches and walkways but this stuff is going vertical. I've never layed it before but know I could do it if someone gives me some ideas. Also I dont know how much too charge for it. One guy told me $20-25 a sq. foot since most of it is pier work.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've got pretty much the same question. Having just spent the weekend in the smokey mountains and enjoyed the beautiful stonework it made me want to do more stone. Their aren't any stone masons in the town I live in per se, and I wouldn't mind filling that niche.

I too would like to know some tricks to doing the thin facia stone whether it be bluestone or or other types.

Any stone masons out there?

Tim

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi guys,

During a 30 + year masonry career I put up a lot of stone walls. Everything from sawed bed 3 unit ashlar to granite boulders and most anything else you can think of. Never did a wall from "thin Veneer" or cultured stone though. Always built up from the brick ledge with wall ties every couple of sq. ft. and all that. I do know that some of the limestone suppliers here are working out a thin veneer product to compete with the phoney stone market, but it is a new game for them. They need to meet some pretty specific weight /sq.ft requirements for it to pass code, and it is not an effective use of their material.

String-- I'm wondering if the stone that will be supplied will actually be that thin, or is it just a sample to show color, - texture. The blue stone (PA) that I've seen in the stoneyards here was usually 1 to 1-1/2 inch material for patio, and 3inch+ for flagged veneer wall. If you do need to lay it up as thin flagging, maybe you should goggle up cultured stone, and get those recommended installation specs, and also talk with the stone producer/supplier. Requires felt paper, lathe, scratch coats etc. Or, you could lay it up as thin ledge stone with a lot of in and out (irregular) surface. We have layed up some Tenn. Crab Orchard that way, and it looks real good, but I imagine that it would be a real pain doing those tall piers that way.
Good luck to ya,
JVC

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info JVC. I stopped and talked to the dealer who carries the stone and asked questions. They showed me the "real" samples and they are inch to 1 1/2" thick. Plus they told me they were going to be a pattern. It is still a very thin veneer though. I figured I could put felt, then metal lathe, scratch coat it with thinset, and use thinset to adhere the product to the wall. Using wall ties quite often. It is drystacked to so I dont know if that will hinder or help the process. LIke I said I never did this before but I know I am capable of doing it. I still want to get a hold of the supplier though too. Also if you wouldnt mind, what would you charge per sq for something like this. Im fairly new to the estimating process and am not sure of current prices. Plus noone in the area has ever done anything like this before.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi String,

I'm thinking you are on the right track. However, you might need to use a latex modified medium bed mortar if you plan on keeping the face of the wall flat with different thickness stone. Like I said, I've never laid up any thin veneer, and the information I'm posting is stuff I've gleened from other forums, and watching them stick up the cultured stone product around here.
As for pricing, I'm not the one to ask. Haven't put out a sq.ft. bid for years now. Only masonry work I touch is real special time and material stuff. The architectural carving keeps me plenty busy. Besides that, I'm down here in Texas where our "Guest Workers" :rolleyes: are throwing up stone veneer for less than 2 bucks a foot labor. :eek: I was higher than that 20 years ago. I suspect if no one else in your area is doing that work, you can set the cost standard. :Thumbs:

JVC

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats right I checked the link in your signature. Very fine work indeed. And that is a damn shame about the "guest workers". Anyway I put my bid in for $20 a sq. ft. and when I showed him the price he didnt bat an eye at it soooo... Im gonna keep my fingers crossed. I love doing the fine intricate work that people remember seeing. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts