Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 9 yr. old home that has a finished basement. I don't know why other than cost as to why the previous HO didn't insulate the walls. The ceiling is but not the walls. My question is...is it very risky to blow insulation into the wall area between the sheetrock and foundation walls. There is about a 6" space there now. There hasn't been any moisture problems for the 2 yrs. I've been here. No smells or dampness. Has anyone ran into this issue before and remedy the problem without removing the walls.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
If I needed to be certain for a client I would check out www.buildingscience.com. There seem to be a wide range of opinion on the subject and them folks do a great job of explaining the pros and cons of many different approaches without bias. They have no products to sell.

Off the cuff I would say spray foam would be ok. I would fear that cellulose would collect moisture over time and tend to hold it and I am not much of a fan of FG. Foam board attached directly to the foundation would be ideal except that you are already finished.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
I have to agree with Dave above. You also have left numerous unanswered questions preventing anyone from being able to hazard a legitimate guess on what would work best for that exact house. Where is the house, moisture issues, vapor barrier already installed, ease of access...

Personally I would probably be looking directly at a Closed cell product, but a cheaper product might be doable with the proper planning and execution like dense pack cellulose, open cell foam, blown in fiberglass, etc... It all comes down to the house, the budget, and what you wish to accomplish

·
Registered
29 Posts
actually, I've heard that borate treated cellulose doesn't absorb moisture, and is fire resistant as well. In addition to higher r-value than FG, also offers excellent draft control and sound deadening.:clap:

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm located just south of KC, Kansas. There is no vapor barier installed. I can see behind the north wall becuase it ends behind a door that leads to the unfinished bathroom, and I can see the entire wall length. There is about 6" behind the sheetrock and foundation wall. The east wall has two egress windows just above grade. Peaking behind the water shutoff door on that east wall I can see that it is a half foundation wall and 2x4 studs with fiberglass bats between the studs with no vapor barier. The south wall I can see in the wall by the outlet and its the same thing there as the north wall. I know the ceiling is insulated. The accesibility of the north wall would be a piece of cake. The east wall through a good size water shut off access door would allow blown in insulation. The south wall I would have to cut some access holes for installation. But If a moisture problem would arise then of course I'll be living with a cold basement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts