Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right get ready, this is a little weird.
Met with a new customer today who had a family member to commit suicide in the laundry room. The clean up people have come in and scrubbed the walls, scraped the popcorn off of the ceiling, cut a 3'x3' section out of the carpet at the door where blood was tracked. The problem is there is still a dark stain in the grout on the tile floor.
She suggested tearing up the tile and replacing it but I'm thinking that muriatic acid might get the stain out. Peroxide also is good for blood stains so my wife says.
Has anybody ever ran into a blood stain issue? Will muriatic acid damage the tiles?
This whole job has got an Eckkkkk feeling about it. :shutup:

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
Definitely you do not want to use Muriatic acid indoors. It'll attack the grout for sure, but can be dangerous and hurt the grout. Use a grout cleaner and see what happens. If the results aren't to your liking, you can apply a grout colorant which works fine.

Jaz

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I second Malco...

I wouldn't waste my time trying to clean it even if I could.:sad:

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
If the grout won't clean then it can be replaced without removing all the tile.:clap:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
there are agents that will take blood out.

Goto the sister site http://www.cleaningtalk.com/

under tile and grout cleaning.

Introduce your self.
that you post here,
and what your problem is.

I am sure that
1 they will ask you installation questions
2 they will help you out

Craig

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
Just dig out the grout about half way down and regrout. I would try the H2O2 first though, even a strong bleach might get rid of it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Having removed blood stains from many surfaces... :eek:

(in a previous life)

I can say that the Peroxide works wonders. Especially if you can get the 30%, not the 3% from the drugstore.

[gotta second MALCO...new tile would be a better bet for long term mental health]

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
man you didnt have to tell us the source of the blood, could have just said person cut their hand really bad in the kitchen cutting veggies or something

just getting worn down by hearing of the suicides this year. 2 of which i knew

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Start with Hydrogen Peroxide...........

New Tile may be the ONLY Catharsis that will ever remove the Memory.

I DO suggest!
I did consider that Malco. You could very well be right, but after talking to her I think that she'll be ok with it if I get the stain out. In the end, the laundry room will have a parti wall through the middle of it making the other half a hallway. I'm thinking this will change the look of that end of the house so that it'll be eaiser for her to deal with.
I should have mentioned that she also wants to close in the carport for a game room and add a 20x 32 BR/Bath. Cost is an issue and tile replacement would add a good bit more than a good clean up. Replacing the grout is the next option if the stains won't lift.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having removed blood stains from many surfaces... :eek:

(in a previous life)

I can say that the Peroxide works wonders. Especially if you can get the 30%, not the 3% from the drugstore.

[gotta second MALCO...new tile would be a better bet for long term mental health]
The wife is a beautician, has already schooled me in the wonders of H2O2 (the real stuff, now the drug store strength)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
man you didnt have to tell us the source of the blood, could have just said person cut their hand really bad in the kitchen cutting veggies or something

just getting worn down by hearing of the suicides this year. 2 of which i knew
Tell me about it, I've known the lady for years. I'm closer to this thing than I want to be. I still have to help her out though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts