Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a blog, but I have been known to blast inferior products on message/discussion boards.

Active contributors to blogs or social-networking sites like MySpace, Facebook or Twitter value the freedom of expression those channels provide. But many users could benefit from a word of warning: Don't set yourself up for a lawsuit.

Full article:
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2009/08/16/20090816biz-Wiles0816.html

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't have a blog, but I have been known to blast inferior products on message/discussion boards.

Active contributors to blogs or social-networking sites like MySpace, Facebook or Twitter value the freedom of expression those channels provide. But many users could benefit from a word of warning: Don't set yourself up for a lawsuit.

Full article:
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2009/08/16/20090816biz-Wiles0816.html
I guess I better go to McDonald's spill some coffee on my lap so I can start "raising" money to mount my soon to be up coming legal defense!:w00t::thumbup::thumbup:

I think it was the early to mid '90's the number 1 alternative income was sueing people.:no:

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was the early to mid '90's the number 1 alternative income was sueing people.:no:
I don't doubt it.

I used to work at Safeway. I have seen professional "fallers". They go in, stage a fall...and it usually ends up with a 15 minute convo with the manager culminating in 500-800 dollars in free groceries to make the "incident" go away.

Their view was "Yeah, we can fight it and prove it bogus, but we'll spend thousands to do it."

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't doubt it.

I used to work at Safeway. I have seen professional "fallers". They go in, stage a fall...and it usually ends up with a 15 minute convo with the manager culminating in 500-800 dollars in free groceries to make the "incident" go away.

Their view was "Yeah, we can fight it and prove it bogus, but we'll spend thousands to do it."
Haven't heard that name in AGES kinda like the Pigly Wigly or Jack "n Jill!:laughing:

NOT SAYING it was intentional (who knows) I knew a girl who got a $17,000 dollar pay out for a slip and fall at a Walgreens.:rolleyes:

After 7 years of service to her employer my girlfreind broke her back at work and had to get a lawyer so she could get surgery. She still can't walk right.:no:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I guess I better go to McDonald's spill some coffee on my lap....
That McDonald's case is a well-known example of the excesses of tort law. I also thought it was outrageous when I first heard about it, then someone sent me an article from the ATLA (American Trial Lawyers of America) which explained the details of the case and after reading all the facts, I changed my mind. I tried to find the page to reference it here, but didn't have much luck. I think the ATLA have taken it off their website as it is an older case and they have since updated to newer issues. Anyway, the extra facts that made me change my mind about the validity of the suit were as follows:

- Stella Lieback was a passenger in a car driven by her grandson. She was not the driver and the car was not moving when the coffee spill occurred. Instead, after getting the coffee from the drive-through, the grandson pulled over so that she could put cream and sugar in the coffee. With the cup between her knees, she took off the lid and that is when the spill occurred.

- Most coffee is brewed between 130-140 F degrees, but McDonald's kept their coffee at 180-190 F. McDonald's themselves acknowledged that this was extremely hot; too hot to drink immediately without waiting for it to cool down; but they had no intention of changing this practice, even after already 700 lawsuits had been presented because of overly hot coffee. They also acknowledged that most customers would not expect the coffee to be that hot but that they had no intention of serving it at cooler temperatures because they felt it affected the flavour of their product.

- Stella suffered severe injuries. She was wearing trackpants at the time, so the coffee was absorbed by the material and stuck to her skin, causing 3rd degree burns to her inner legs, genital area and buttocks. She was in hospital for 8 days and had to undergo several skin grafting procedures. I'm feeling pretty sorry for the 79-year-old woman now.

- She originally wanted to just settle with McDonald's quietly for $20,000 which was to pay part of her medical costs. But McDonald's refused.

- In the end, it was the attitude of McDonald's that caused the lawsuit to climb as high as it did. Stella was faulted 20% and McDonald's 80% for the incident. $200,000 was the award for her medical bills and subsequent legal bills (for a suit she didn't even want to pursue in the first place).

- The other $2.7 million was punitary damages for "callous disregard of public safety". While the $2.7 million sounds like an extreme amount of money, it is only 2 days worth of McDonald's coffee sales; not all sales, only coffee sales. If you are going to punish someone it at least has to feel like a punishment. Two days worth of coffee sales doesn't seem like much of a punishment when seen in that context.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't doubt it.

WOW....:eek:

No friggin way....

Did you live in compton? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So what about the second law suit AFTER Mc Donald's POSTED the signs cautioning HOT COFFEE and the person won something like $500,000?

I have NO love for Mc Donald’s and RARELY eat there. I still find it hard to believe that they are at fault.

Had the incident happened in their drive thru when the employee was handing the cup over or as soon as she grabbed the cup from her grandson and the lid popped off due to the attendant not putting it on right then I could understand.

I can't believe this was the lady’s first trip to Mickey Ds and her first cup of coffee of theirs.

Without having a thermometer she had to know their coffee “felt” hotter than others she had.

“With the cup between her knees, she took off the lid and that is when the spill occurred.”

I DO feel sorry for the lady. I’ve done some “creative” things while in a vehicle to mix coffee, eat etc. THAT being one of them. But both her and I could use a cup holder or had the other person hold the cup.

As I said my girlfriend broke her back at work while carrying out a direct order.

Because of lawsuits like that, laws changed to cover the asses of corporations to the OPPOSITE extreme. She had to sue to get surgery. IF and I stress IF she gets a settlement she will be LUCKY to get 1/3 of 1 year of HER salary.

( the corporation she worked for on a local level prob does 1 mil revenue a day. The worldwide organization that sells gas and has a sea-shell logo does WAY more than that!)

That is after she was let go for “not being physically capable to carry out her duties”. She will also have to sign away ANY and ALL future meds and doctor’s visits. No compensation for future wage loss as it will be HARD to get someone to hire her.

We are an “anti-sue” household and doing this was a VERY hard decision. Seeing others get rewarded for careless actions of their choice doesn’t sit well with me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a famous blogger named Dooce that trash talked her company on her blog and got fired for it. She coined the term "Dooced" meaning someone that get's fired for what is on their blog. It worked out ok though, because now she makes her living off of writing her blog.

John
www.constructonomics.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a famous blogger named Dooce that trash talked her company on her blog and got fired for it. She coined the term "Dooced" meaning someone that get's fired for what is on their blog. It worked out ok though, because now she makes her living off of writing her blog.

John
www.constructonomics.com
Haha:clap: Great story.:party:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
There's another story I remember that's even more blatant. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago??

“Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver’s seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Granzinksi sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner’s manual that she couldn’t actually leave the driver’s seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals a result of this suit….”

And yet 'tort reform' is not even being discussed?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
This guy claims the story is a hoax & that the driver was actually a man. He seems to be the only one calling it an urban legend. http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3447
Steve

There's another story I remember that's even more blatant. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago??

“Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver’s seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Granzinksi sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner’s manual that she couldn’t actually leave the driver’s seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals a result of this suit….”

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
...and now we know the reason why you should never, ever use a real name or company name on the internet, unless you are trying to sell your services (ha, ha, yeah right:rolleyes:).

You know, they do have a little thingie called 'Track me not' for those who don't need to be traced...

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts

:no:Urban legend...
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

http://www.jerebeasleyreport.com/2008/01/the-lawsuit-myth-put-out-by-the-tort-reformers-must-be-exposed/

·
Registered
79 Posts

Unbelievable. I'll remember that one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts