Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had a rear addition done 8'x18' and the framers said the it's out of square by 5":mad:
Block guy said yes he will fix it and mentioned removing 4-5 courses of block and using 6' block and rebuild it. The current block is 10" so I'm guessing this how he will be able to make up the difference.
So, my question is do I make him take it all down and redo or is this a viable solution? I'm interested hearing any other suggestions that may work from your experience.
This really sucks for me as I'm already behind in my construction.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I cannot see how that can work. It sounds real bogus to me. This is a classic example that caused the old saying "two wrongs do not make it right" come into being.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Check square at the first course of block. (at floor level with a cross measurement)

Then follow it up each course. 5" isn't noticeable to the naked eye but will make the rest of the trades go nuts trying to accommodate his screw up, not to mention other issues.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
Tell him knock it down and do it right, being this your house I assume since you a painter.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If he is willing to take it down 5 courses why doesn't he just use 10 inch block and try to correct it as much as possible, then the framers can cheat a bit with the plates to help out. Depending on what the wall finish is, you wont notice the slight overhang. If you do have him reparge the wall in those spots. Best thing is make him fix it correctly if he will but if he is already paid you might have trouble getting to take it right to the bottom. Who did the footings and the layout of the block walls. Unless the block work is crazy bad, the layout guy gets the blame on this one. I have seen walls four inches out of parallel and we cheated it in the framework. Not proper to do it but the general said that's what he wanted so that's what we did.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
5" out of square is WAY outside the acceptable tolerance for block work.

I agree with Greg.

Tell him to knock it down and rebuild, not to cheat with 6" block.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
In many ways a 6" block can be superior if it is built plumb. - I have seen over 100 7 to 22 story loadbearing block buildings using partially or non reinforced 6" block not steel or concrete columns that were built according to the usual U.S. codes, but some engineers take the easy designs and arbitarily use the old fashioned 8" module.(not necessarily cheaper). 10" have never made any sense although some areas continue to use them.

Reactions: tenon0774

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
If he is willing to take it down 5 courses why doesn't he just use 10 inch block and try to correct it as much as possible,
He had pretty much a blank slate and if he is 5" off square on that small a room, it should be taken down and started over by a mason who knows what he is doing and the original one should be footing the bill for this via suit or whatever is required if he is not willing to start over and accept the fact that he screwed up.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Lets hope that the footings are square enough and wide enough to start over. Possibly, whoever laid out the footings was off and the mason went by the edges and offsets from them and followed the same errors up.

The same things happen with both block and poured basements or additions on strip crooked or skewed footings where they run out of width for the walls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news is that its being corrected, even after he was paid in full.
It will be rebuilt with the same size block from the ground up, only one side wall will remain. One of the footings had to be widened and I'm guessing that's the reason it went out of square.
Crossing fingers that it will be done right now.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
5" out of square in a 8'X18' room:eek:

I could see that without my glasses on after drinking a couple six packs!

Is the footing out that much too?

At the very least 3,4,5. or 6,8,10.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts