Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cleaning up and spot pointing the block foundation in my 1900 build house. One corner where a few blocks look to have shifted off course by 1/4"-3/8" is what I'm concerned about. The shifted blocks are along a stair case crack on one side of the corner. This area was chronically wet but dried out as soon as I removed vines, carpeting/trash and repaired downspout. I know this is vague but I'd appreciate any input on methods of troubleshooting or reinforcing.

Green Floor Wall Flooring Line

Green Wall Line Floor Flooring

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I say god for your house if it's only 3/8 or a 1/2 off after 110 years.

If your worried about it. Can you get access to the top of the block to fill the cores?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm not so much worried about it as I am wondering if I should do something about it before I get involved in my bathroom remodel, windows etc. The sill plate is blocking my access to the block cavity for the most part. If I could get in there, sending in some rebar and concrete (would that be the right material?) should add reinforcement.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I think you're probably allright. If the area has dried out it's most likely stable now. If you can dig out and repair the damage from the outside that would be best, then do a parge coat and throw some tar some other type of waterproofing. If you can't access the cores, you can always cut some 1" holes in the block every 4 courses in the cores you want to fill and mix a real wet slurry (1 portland to 2 super fine sand and a whole lot of water, so it's like thick cream, or if your a real money bag you can use non shrink grout)and pour it in using a funnel and some tubing. It won't get super hard and it won't be totally perfect but it will help to stop the block from moving somewhat

Really though, if the water has been diverted you've fixed 90% of the problem already. I've seen union block guys throw block up that has 1/4" lipping on new construction

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. I was digging out the exterior and its basically a blanket of roots from all the vines that used to be there. Real pain in the azz. I'll see if I can fill the cores like you said. That sounds like a good way to add some extra stability without too much work. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Cool. I was digging out the exterior and its basically a blanket of roots from all the vines that used to be there. Real pain in the azz. I'll see if I can fill the cores like you said. That sounds like a good way to add some extra stability without too much work. Thanks.
Expect to mix 3 times more than you would expect, and to make it way thinner than you would think. If it's wet enough to flow through a 1.5" (probably a better size)tube, it's wet enough to flow just about everywhere for 5' in either direction. Once it starts flowing out the hole, clean the area around the hole and block it with tape or something, the slurry will be firm enough that you can remove it the next day and scrape it back so it's flush with the block

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stupid off topic question... old homeowners left 2 rock hard bags Portland cement. Can I just throw it in my yard (weeds & junk anyway) or would I be advised to pay to dump it?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figure its naturally occurring minerals but just making sure it wouldn't pollute the soil if I do use it to fill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts