Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a DW replacement job today where some water lines broke.

Gonna have to match the existing knockdown texture.

Any advice on blending the new and old?

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Like the others posts said: Blending is the key. I use hot mud and bust it out about 8-10 inches around the repair. I sponge the mud out towards edges as it is almost fully set. Keep sponging until the old knockdown is popping through the mud on the last 4-5 inches all around. Keep an eye for any ridges or mud build ups that will show edging................ Just keep feathering!

Spraying: I use anything from a fart-gun to a air compressor fed hopper depending on the repair size. The biggest mistake most repair guys often do is to spray the knock down too light (thin) and have a thinner nugget pattern than the original spray pattern. Then they think they need another coat........and that is almost death. I always spray to make my mistake on more depth as I can always come back and lightly scuff the nuggets to the original depth. Knockdown is never the same from house to house when it comes to depth, and texture.

Hope this helps.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
D.E.P.S. said:
Blending is the key. I use hot mud and bust it out about 8-10 inches around the repair. I sponge the mud out towards edges as it is almost fully set. Keep sponging until the old knockdown is popping through the mud on the last 4-5 inches all around. Keep an eye for any ridges or mud build ups that will show edging................ Just keep feathering!
This is the most important part, IMHO. No matter how well you match the spray, if you don't pay lots of attention to this step, it will look terrible.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not to steal the topic, but I have to do a knock-down tomorrow, and doing the entire ceiling area of 117 sq. ft.. Done some in the past without issues to big. But a spray is out for us, don't do enough. We have always rolled the mud on with a paint roller. My question is, and I know it is hard to be sure of what, BUT what size nap roller do most of ya use?? I do have some flex in the texture for it is not beside another in the area, just close. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Not to steal the topic, but I have to do a knock-down tomorrow, and doing the entire ceiling area of 117 sq. ft.. Done some in the past without issues to big. But a spray is out for us, don't do enough. We have always rolled the mud on with a paint roller. My question is, and I know it is hard to be sure of what, BUT what size nap roller do most of ya use?? I do have some flex in the texture for it is not beside another in the area, just close. Thanks
Skip trowel it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks, BUT!! that is not the look we want or need? MY bad! What it is, what we call a knock-down in the area with about 30 coats of paint!!!! There is the variables, low spots, high spots, BUT no sharp edges to say??? Hard to explain! No camera to shot with, and my phone is a old as me! Sorry I have no more info than that,, I need to get a smart phone, then go back to learning how to us it!

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
This is a problem in the drywall industry. Each geographical location seems to have thier own terminology as to what different textures are called.

Any texture applied with a roller will not give you a knock down pattern, at least in my neck of the woods. It will give you some kind of pattern, but I wouldn't know what to call it.

Here is a pic of knockdown that I shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Hey Paul, how do you get to skip and not skim a large area? Is it a dry mud, or some wrist action applying?

Nice look! I'm gonna have to try that:thumbsup:

Reactions: Sir Mixalot

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Thanks, BUT!! that is not the look we want or need? MY bad! What it is, what we call a knock-down in the area with about 30 coats of paint!!!! There is the variables, low spots, high spots, BUT no sharp edges to say??? Hard to explain! No camera to shot with, and my phone is a old as me! Sorry I have no more info than that,, I need to get a smart phone, then go back to learning how to us it!
Post a pic when you get a chance. I'd like to see what you are trying to do. I like picking up on new things.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Man this is going to be tough, but I agree! The texture, if I can give more info, has the look like the pictures above, BUT with-out the "edges to say?" the high spots and low spots seem to flow, sort-a like a BUT not, like a pebble look?? There is no "EDGES" to say to catch a finger nail on them?? I know, and I am not F&@%in with you guys! It looks like I need a camera! BUT thanks for the info and assistants!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My arm hurts watching that video.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
This is a problem in the drywall industry. Each geographical location seems to have thier own terminology as to what different textures are called.

Any texture applied with a roller will not give you a knock down pattern, at least in my neck of the woods. It will give you some kind of pattern, but I wouldn't know what to call it.
True and false.

You can roll thinned mud with thick nap roller and then knock it down.

I'll try to post pics later.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Sorry, no pics yet. The rolled k/d is on second floor of my home. Was matching existing text. Something I had never seen before. I called it "stomp knockdown".

Been staying away from stairs due to knee replacement. Will get them ASAP. (Gone for weekend camping).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts