Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ve got a question on how would be the best approach to using two different stain colors to achieve a glazed look to a dresser that I am going to refinish. The challenge I think would be once the base color is on the dresser, the different color will just be wipied off. How would I go about doing this??

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,801 Posts
I ve got a question on how would be the best approach to using two different stain colors to achieve a glazed look to a dresser that I am going to refinish. The challenge I think would be once the base color is on the dresser, the different color will just be wipied off. How would I go about doing this??
After the first coat, put a coat of shellac or sanding sealer on, then apply your next stain coat. Let it become tacky, then lightly blend by removing top stain till you get desired results.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,744 Posts
The correct way of doing this is to use colors with different solvents. The first one could be an alcohol solvent and the second could be an alkyd solvent. Once you put any type of film coating on it you are now glazing or toning. If you put stain on top of shellac it will not penetrate into the wood (unless you are using a washcoat - 5% solids). You can run into adhesion problems if you do not wipe off the stain completely. You will need to lock it into place by sandwiching it in between two coats of shellac or vinyl sealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts