Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience trying to blast Rhino Liner. I got a call today from a guy with a trailer custom made to move storage sheds. The good news ends there. He told me the whole thing is Rhino Lined and has trapped moisture underneath and is bubbling in spots. He wants it blasted and painted, but I'm sure it comes off harder than powder coat but I don't know that. I have been looking it up and see people have used chemical strippers, air chisels, and angle grinders. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience trying to blast it. I'll attach a picture of what a similar trailer looks like. Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dont waist your time! Best way to get it off if its separating like that is to cut it into 1-2" strips (long strips) and pull it up with pliers. Then you can blast residue. Done it, not fun, never give price, tell him by the hour. I wont take these unless im really slow. I do a lot of work for a liner company, thats why i know about this and best way. Would love to hear any other ideas people have done though. GL

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It's actually called Polyurea and you could abrasive blast it off, but your gonna have a mountain of abrasive afterwards and the cost would be cheaper to just replace the trailer instead. I'll bet that there isn't water trapped in the liner since the liner is a water resistant membrane in the first place. I deal with polyurea coatings on a daily basis as a consultant and instructor in the industry. The bubbles are probably due to off ratio material being applied by a incompetent applicator. Find someone with a water jetting service that has the capabilities of water jetting pressures of +20,000psi. That's going to be they best way to remove it. Other that that, get your air chisels out and expect some damage to the trailer.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Benny, can that happen long after it's applied? If this was right away I guess it would have been covered from the liner company.

The other possibility to remove it is with an induction heater. This is a small electric device which uses magnetic waves to build up heat in metal with out flame. Some of us in the auto glass industry use them to remove windshields. I think one is called glass blaster if you want to see them on line. too expensive to just pick one up but I do know a salvage yard who would sell a used one. He didn't like it because he is afraid he will set a car on fire but it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes Glenn it can. Depending on temps I've seen jobs that looked good that was done during winter months and then spring or summer time temps hit and blisters appear in ISO rich locations.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Glenn, are you still spraying the ultimate low pressure material? If so then that's why. The low pressure is a polyurethane and uses a MDI ISO and that material can a will blister quickly as it reacts with any moisture. The high pressure material is a hybrid Polyurea and uses a TDI based ISO and is a little less reactive to moisture and may take longer to see blisters form.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No Pearce I never did. The work that is in the video link I posted was in Birmingham, AL. and the hydro blasting was done by Video Industrial Services. It was done at 20,000psi as well.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Yep, I have a simple dual cartridge system. As long as I get both sides of the dual cartridge flowing before I begin to atomize it stays in ratio and has not failed for me. You have to not spray to the very end or you could end up iso rich and get balloons. Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the trailer today and started stripping it down with a sharp putty knife and a rubber mallet. It seems to be going well. I'm guessing the 14 degree temps are to my benefit as well.

Is Rhino Lining a trailer EVER a good idea? I'm just wondering in proper surface profile is a factor, or the application/ratio wasn't right. It just seems to me that the cold temp and different expansion/contraction rates of the Liner and the steel make it difficult for a permanent bond.

Anyway, I'll post more pictures of progress. This picture is how it came to me. I do have most of the topside stripped (not in this photo). I'll be flipping the trailer to strip the bottom, maybe blast this weekend so I can paint next week.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I have been lining trucks and the like, even plastics, for ten years with two different systems. Never had one peel up or blister on its own. I do many of them in the cold months and still never a problem. The surface should be painted, not bare steel. It gets scuffed with an 80 grit brush and wiped with solvent. This one must have been shot iso rich somehow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This what shot over raw steel. Other than where it was bubbled up and there is pitting damage, the rest (under the Rhino Liner) is either near white metal or light flash rust. The fact that it should have been painted in relevant information in any future use. I appreciate all of the responses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It doesnt have to be painted under just a good surface to bond to, i blast a lot for a local linex dealer and give him a white metal finish (or near white). He is also a local forum person;) I had a blast trailer of mine I restored, had him linex new wood for it and it was great! Never worry about rotted wood again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did some research when looking to put a bedliner in my new truck, Rhino lining did not have a good reputation overall, some liked it but some had lifting or peeling issues. LineX seemed to have a better reputation, didn't see any complaints about lifting or peeling, mostly just fading issues. I am sure with most coatings though, prep is 90% of a good finished product.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Prep is a major issue on any product but linex is way past any other liner company on the quality. I feel this way just from blasting different products. Linex (and other company's) can fade if you dont get the upgraded coating that protects against that. Dont know about other companies but linex does a decent amount with the military. They have gotten the science down.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You guys really need to come to my next school in Dallas Feb.23-28th. You will learn a lot about these Polyurea coatings. Brand names has nothing to do with it at all.

www.pda-online.org and go to the education tab.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts