Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys we are trying to quote job removing paint off of brick. We do know none of the paint is lead based. It appears to be a latex paint that is flaking really bad. Any suggestions on quoting it? It is 900 sq. ft. first floor only. We will probably setup some containment(tarps on the ground) I figure we will use fine crushed glass. Any guidelines you guys use for this type of blasting? Any other things I should take into consideration? We normally do boat bottoms and in-shop service so this is a bit new to me. Thank you in advance.

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
Just do not use anything courser than 70 grit. Also take the pressure down to 80 psi at the nozzle. Since it is a 1st floor job it sounds like about a 2 to 3 dollar a square foot shot. Give yourself some distance and ease into the bricks. Crushed glass does work best on this substrate.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Just did a house

Just did a brick house, use soda with wet ring,
Dry soda cleans’ good but it cut’s into old bricks fast. New brick hold up good.
When you add water to Soda it softens the blow but the soda still cleans.
House was 1890 old cape, approx 2000 sq ft blasted, had to remove old flaking latex paint. We put down along the foundation landscapers felt cloth. Out about 12’
House took: 1 day for interior porch, 1 day outside. Paint came off great with wet ring, no dust!
water went through cloth, paint stayed. (Note: inside we did dry.)
The only thing was; the felt was some heavy after. Next time I will let it dry a day or two before removal.
Outside took around 9 hours, (some work off ladder, and upper roof, set-up and clean-up) 15 bags of soda.(outside)
Tend to use more when we use water.
I used Soda Because of the clean up, If you use Glass there will be a lot of clean up!!
Good luck and I hope you guys make some money on it, I did!

·
Todd
848 Posts
i would also try soda.when you blast brick with an abrasive it will tend to expose the rock inside of it.i have no experience with a wet ring but it does sound good to use to keep the dust down and remember it kills plants...

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
No, you do not want to use soda to remove paint from brick. 1st of all it leaches giant amounts of efflorescence from the brick. 2nd you have to turn the pressure up too much in order for the soda to start working, thus the brick takes a beating. Use fine glass beads and turn the pressure way down. Soda is a joke and definitely not intended for brick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did the inside of a brick building in Winona MN that a guy was turning into a studio, same deal bad 70's latex paint (Guessing 70's by the awful color scheme). Charged $2/SF for about 450 SF, no cleanup used black beauty at low pressure (my compressor was a lot smaller then). After we were done the owner did his own cleanup, set up a hepa filter, pressure washed the walls, dried and clear coated all brick in that room. Looks fantastic now.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Green buggy, did you see my add in Back To The Fiifties? Your right next door to me I just got back from Nebraska give me a private shout out. Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts